•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Engine problems

recklessabandonman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 L
I was driving to school today, and stopped at CVS for some medicine. I went to leave, and the engine started to sputter and make a weird vibration noise, then it died. It started up fine, and moved a few feet before it died. It still is starting up, but dies after a few seconds. I still had electric power, but no engine.
Any idea on what's wrong, and how to fix it?

Oh, and when I was able to move it, I floored it and it only went 2 mph. And it's a 2.9

PaleBlue90

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
2.3,2.9 and 4.0
auto? whats your oil pressure like? compression test?

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I'd guess fuel pump.

When it dies, see if there is pressure from the schraeder valve on the fuel rail.

recklessabandonman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 L
The fuel pump has been replaced before, and it hasn't had the same problem. It's an auto.

'99 EB Explorer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Def. check your oil level and pressure. Also check your coolant level...if you overheated due to lack of coolant, it's possible you've damaged something that still allows you to start, but won't allow it to run...this one is just a guess on my part tho. :icon_confused:

As for fuel pump...i highly doubt it if there was a vibration noise before it died. Where did the noise come from? Under the hood or the rear of the vehicle? My experience when my pump died on my car was...as long as it was only idling, it would run fine but, the moment I stepped on the gas, it would die...wouldn't budge an inch.

Also...i'm no 2.9 expert...but is it possible the timing is off just a bit? maybe the chain/belt jumped a tooth?

If the coil is damaged, it would allow the vehicle to run but die under load...i've also had that happen to me.

Try starting the truck and just let it run...don't hit the gas...and see what happens.

Sorry about all this...I just wanted to throw a bunch of possibilities at you for future checking.

Best of luck to you dude and let us know how it goes. :icon_cheers:

EDIT: If it's the coil...that would also explain the severe lack of power.

recklessabandonman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 L
Alright, my brother in law looked at it, and said the pump seems fine. It starts up strong, then sounds like it's not getting spark or fuel, and tries to run, but goes putt putt putt and stalls.

'99 EB Explorer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Ok...i'd definitely be looking at the coil(s) next if that's the case.

If it IS a fuel problem...it could be as simple as replacing your fuel filter. All you have to do to check for fuel pressure...is find something small enough to push the button down on the schrader valve. If fuel comes spraying out for a second or two...you have fuel getting to the front and your filter/pump are fine. If you just get a couple drips of fuel...replace the filter and try again.

EDIT: BE DAMNED CAREFUL WHEN YOU CHECK THE FUEL PRESSURE!!!!! Getting sprayed in the face/eyes with high pressure fuel is NOT fun!!

But at this point, i'm leaning more towards coil issues.

Last edited:

86_LX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1992 and 2004
Vehicle
Ford and Ford
Engine Size
4.0 and 5.4 SC
Ok...i'd definitely be looking at the coil(s) next if that's the case.

If it IS a fuel problem...it could be as simple as replacing your fuel filter. All you have to do to check for fuel pressure...is find something small enough to push the button down on the schrader valve. If fuel comes spraying out for a second or two...you have fuel getting to the front and your filter/pump are fine. If you just get a couple drips of fuel...replace the filter and try again.

EDIT: BE DAMNED CAREFUL WHEN YOU CHECK THE FUEL PRESSURE!!!!! Getting sprayed in the face/eyes with high pressure fuel is NOT fun!!

But at this point, i'm leaning more towards coil issues.
Thats not really a good way to check for fuel pressure. Go get yourself a fuel pressure gauge from auto zone or advance auto ect and pull the cap off the schrader valve and clip it on, then start up the truck. As stated before you may have enough fuel from the pump when idleing but if the fuel filter is clogged as soon as you step on the gas it wont have enough fuel to keep the engine running. Also check your timing, and you ground cables

'99 EB Explorer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
lol....i realize my way of testing for fuel is not the best way to do it...but for those who don't have the $$ or any real reason to go buy a pressure tester, this is the best "lamens" way of doing it.

It's NOT a fool proof way of doing it though. Your own personal discretion is advised.

pangborn83

Reaction score
lol....i realize my way of testing for fuel is not the best way to do it...but for those who don't have the $$ or any real reason to go buy a pressure tester, this is the best "lamens" way of doing it.

It's NOT a fool proof way of doing it though. Your own personal discretion is advised.
I can agree if there is any reason to think there is no fuel once so ever getting there this is ok. We know there is atleast fuel getting there (it will start) the ammount is the question. Just because it has pressure the spec is 30-45psi with key on engine off if I recall correctly, I dont recall the spec running but you can check a repair manual for both. Point is diagnostics on fuel systems are nearly impossible without a fuel pressure gauge. Your brother in law said he believes it to be other than a fuel issue, did he use a gauge or? Without diagnostic equipment you can not rule out anything. A weird vibration deffinatly not being a fuel pump? What would a multiple cylinder misfire feel like to you. Possible cause insufficient fuel? The pump was changed but that means little to me personally, there still may be an issue with the fuel system. I know times are tuff, but a $40 gauge could give you all your answers, it may not but it could save you alot of time, money in the long run.

HareRazor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Atleast that's an easy fix.

'99 EB Explorer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
lmao...just don't park on uneven surface to put the gas back in.

I ran out of gas on my way to work with my ranger. Had to walk 2 miles to the gas station...bought a gas can that could hold $5 worth and walked back. Poured the gas in, but the truck still wouldn't start. Damned thing was on the side of the road and there wasn't enough gas to reach the pump. :annoyed:

So, back to the gas station I went.....sigh

2813josh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6,4.0
:icon_cheers:Reckon' it aint got no gas in it