•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Ex OHC in a Bronco II?

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Anyone put an Explorer overhead console in a Bronco II? I picked one up and want to put it in, but I don't know if the wiring would be the same as described in the tech library.

country0001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Just remember there is always a way to do it. Use the force.

Nathan123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 Litre
I wanted to do this and the response I got was that a BII doesn't have a VSS so the temperature would never change. It would be possible to make something fit and wire it up though.

Chris.S.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
You could make the wiring work if it wasn't for that VSS. Everything else in it is just constant/switched power or ground wires, but that VSS is kind of a deal breaker for the Temp control...

(As far as I know anyways)

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Hmm I wonder about wiring it into the tach. It wouldn't be acurate while stopped at a light, but at least I would know that.

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Guys,
I have done this on a friends 87 and am going to do it to my 88. Your VSS is the electrical plug on the spedo connection at the xfer case.

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
ok so when i read the title of this i thought it was about putting an explorer Over Head Cam 4.0 engine into a bII :icon_rofl:

Hmm I wonder about wiring it into the tach.
from what i unerstand the vss sends an a/c signal, and the tach (which draws off of the neg side anyway) operates on d/c :dunno:

kevinsranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
this is probably a really stupid question, but what does the vss do for the console? doesnt it just tell temp outside from its own sensor and direction?

Andres629

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/91
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 screamer
Vehicle Speed Sensor. Takes the temperature, and factors in windspeed from the vehicle's speed and gives you an accurate reading even while moving.

kevinsranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Vehicle Speed Sensor. Takes the temperature, and factors in windspeed from the vehicle's speed and gives you an accurate reading even while moving.
get outta here really? wow learn something new everyday, i always thought it had its own sensor

Andres629

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/91
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 screamer
It does. The overhead console has it's temp sensor which takes the temp. but without the VSS telling the console how much wind chill there is, your temp could say something like 40*F when maybe it's like 80. I don't know Fahrenheit numbers, but you get the idea. Think of working on a hot day, and you're sweating your bag off. Then you get a bit of a breeze and it feels goooooooooooood. Cools you off a bit doesn't it? Same deal with the temp sensor for the OHC. That's why it incorporates the reading from the VSS! :icon_thumby:

kevinsranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
It does. The overhead console has it's temp sensor which takes the temp. but without the VSS telling the console how much wind chill there is, your temp could say something like 40*F when maybe it's like 80. I don't know Fahrenheit numbers, but you get the idea. Think of working on a hot day, and you're sweating your bag off. Then you get a bit of a breeze and it feels goooooooooooood. Cools you off a bit doesn't it? Same deal with the temp sensor for the OHC. That's why it incorporates the reading from the VSS! :icon_thumby:
haha cool thanks for the info man, i was actually looking at the one in my explorer and wondering how it wasnt affected by the speed and wind lol

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Guys,
I have done this on a friends 87 and am going to do it to my 88. Your VSS is the electrical plug on the spedo connection at the xfer case.
Ah, I didnt know if the B2 was electric or cable driven. That sounds like it would work. Will be working on it and I'll post my results. Thanks.