•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Explorer leaf ?'s

1RangerNut

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
I'm not really sure what leafs I have now, they seem to flex decent but they also don't really hold the weight (just filling the tank will lower it) and I think a leaf or two are broke on the pass. side because it leans to that side.

And since that stupid body mount makes it a pain to install chevy leafs I was just thinking of doing the ex. leafs with my shackles, but didn't know if they would be to stiff? :dunno:

Does anybody have any pic's of the rear flexing with explorer leafs and the longer chevy shackle's, any would be greatly appreciated?

Last edited:

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Article Contributor
Reaction score
I have explorer leafs for my Bronco II, I just haven't put them in yet.

Remember that a flat spring will be able to droop more than an arched spring, and a shackle flip can allow more travel as well.

You can see where there is room for the spring to drop.

The Chevy shackle isn't going to do much for wheel travel unless it's flipped, but it could help if you were trying to use a flatter spring and needed something to gain lift.

I probably got more flex out of my '83 Ranger with lift blocks, than I do with my '96 with Skyjacker 4-inch leafs.

Rangurr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L DOHC I4
I've got my 89 with Explorer leafs and 2" blocks as well as the belltech Chevy drop shackles - I'll flex her a bit with the forklift at work tomorrow or up on our loading ramp and post em for ya! They're not much stiffer than the ones I pulled out of my bronco when I did my swap - that's for sure! If you really want soft springs, you could always go with Explorer Sport leafs from certain years - they only had one leaf in each pack.

Rangurr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L DOHC I4

This is without bumpstops. I think I can push a little bit more with bumpstops and longer shocks (only had maybe another 2" or so in the shocks). Hopefully that helps?

1RangerNut

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Hey, thanks I would have responded earlier but never got an email.

Yeah, they look like they still flex pretty good, how do they hold the weight?

Edit: that's kind of funny I just realized I'm pretty sure we have the same wheels.

Last edited:

Rangurr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L DOHC I4
They flex well and handle the weight really well.

The wheels I'm using are Cragar QuickTrick II's.