•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

F100 to 86 B2 swap

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
I found a guy that is wanting to sell his 1974 Ford F100 4x4 for $600. It has a 396 big block riding on 38" m/t tires. It was running not too long ago but it was parked and has been sitting for a couple months so probably just needs a fluid change and a carb cleaning and it will run fine. We have a mutual friend who vouch for the truck. I am thinking about going and checking the engine and see if I can get it to fit in my B2. I am not sure if there are any big block B2's here or not. I know it isn't the newest engine but it is a good deal and I am going to steal the axles from it too. The guy isn't trying to sell it so he said it would be sitting there for me so when I get my taxes back Ill be able to go get it. I am going to see if I can integrate the lift from the F100 to my B2. For it to fit 38" tires it has to probably have a 5-8" lift easy. Any advice for a big block swap.

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
AFAIK Ford never made a 396, that's a chev engine. It's probably a 390 or 460. There's been a few 429/460 swaps and probably a few 390/428 into an rbv, tho I haven't run across any of the 390/428. I can't help more than that.

Richard

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Yeah i probably got the engine wrong all i know is the guy said its a big block. Its probably a 390 im not sure. I cant wait to get the big.block in though. Also the truck is regeared but im not sure what the gearing is

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
The 390FE is a very big heavy engine.If it's an old F-100 it came with a 360 or 352 same block.It would be a very big job because you would have length problems too.

country0001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
It would be easier to chop the frame, move the rear axle up, and drop the B2 on it. The B2 frame will not support the FE. Plus you wouldn't have to worry about moving the coil buckets.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Is that something that is difficult to do? I have a guy that cab do it just wondering if its worth the trouble.

Frank The Tank

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
98 70
Vehicle
Protege' F100-R
Engine Size
1. sumthing 7.3 gasoline
Sounds like a 390 bored 30.
I have a 360 bored 30 with a 428 crank stroked to a 445....
Yes its a very powerful engine and would be amazing in an offroad truck.

However, even with aluminum intake and heads............ mine still weighs over 500lbs assembled. Its also a very large engine (not like a 429 though lol) Also if you want to start out with a whole lot of money and end up with a very small amount.......... you should attempt to buy parts for an FE.

Youd be far and away better off in the long run to piece meal the drive-train elsewhere and find something else to put in front of your truck for power.
When building an FE if you have to ask how much it weighs or how much it costs........ it's not for you. lol

Last edited:

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Well weight isn't really a big deal. The guy that is going to do the work for me has done setups for hydraulics and other projects. He can reinforce anything. He says that he could easily reconstruct the F100 frame to fit my B2 or he could build me a custom frame that could fit everything. The engine is a 390 big block I asked the guy today. If the engine is going to be a gold mine then Ill find something else. I just liked it because it was only $600 and was 4wd. I would use the springs and everything from the F-100 since they are rated for the weight.

CurtisP87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Here's my 2¢....buy the truck, get it back to running nice, then leave it alone, enjoy a big block on 38s! Then with the money you save from trying to make the Bii an F100, buy a first gen explorer....put the 4.0, axles, and m50d into the Bii, and voila! You have two awesome trucks!

Shran

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
wow . . . . . :icon_surprised:
My thoughts exactly. . . . . .

Here are some things to consider:

- A 1974 Ford pickup would have drum brakes on all four, thus making at least the front axle worth very little.
- The weight of the 390 is of little concern...the frame and suspension can handle it. BUT, the work/expense to swap an engine of unknown condition from a $600 truck into yours? I could see if it was a known good rebuild or something...but this one?
- I don't know ANY people who will volunteer to do a drivetrain swap for free...that is a LOT of work (time)...just because you know "that guy" doesn't mean that it will be cheap or he will give up halfway through.

Things to keep in mind, if I was buying the truck I'd keep it as is or part it out.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
He wouldnt necessary do it for free but he wouldnt charge me very much as i keep his shop stocked with welding equipment beer and pizza :D he is just starting his own shop now so he said hed do all the work on my B2 with little to no charge because i am going to be his mobile advertisement. A lot of people ask me who built my front bumper and other work on my truck all the time and i send him business. Ill probably find something newer to use as my donor. He's gonna start looking for a 302 for the B2 and the rest ill probably have to get from the local pick and pull.