•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

finally chopped it

country0001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Those all look pretty good. I'm going to do one of my B2's eventually.

B2Guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
looks good tek. i need to find some good roll cage ideas.

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
chopping is absolutely the way to go with these things.i did just the back at first on mine,then about two weeks later took the rest off....

it's a lot of fun like this.....nice and open.i use a bikini top that hooks on the windshield frame and drapes over the bar for rainy weather.

TeamExploder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV+SOHC
Cool, I want to do that to the back of the Ex but just don't have the guts to...afraid I'll have it lookin fawked up even though I've seen plenty of nice results.

TEK4x4

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Hey b2Guy i tryed to get a good pic of mine but this is all i got right now on my computer tell i go back out to work on it later this week. its a hoop that goes under the cab part up around behind the drivers seats then goes back and slants down to the back corners with the runner bar across the top and another down each side bellow the side rails. but i cant get a pic posted up is there any way to put it in this with out going through that attachment thing cause it keeps saying my pic are to big?

B2Guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
tek if the pic is on photobucket or some site like that you can click the image button and put the image link in it. im sure i didnt explain that to good... sorry in advance haha

Last edited:

AZFX4

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
I had my B2 for like 3 months and I just couldnt resist taking the sawzall to it. Word of advice: reinforce the flimsy 2 piece roof. I used some small angle stock to stiffen it up. Looks much better now too.

TEK4x4

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
ya that is true i just built a roll cage and put it under that but if you dont do that i would defiantly suggest putting some sort of reinforcement.

B2Guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
im deff going to put a roll cage in it just need to find a good price on some steel first. Id like to do a good four point cage for now i wonder how many feet i would need....

TEK4x4

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
well i used around 40 feet for mine i do believe

Crippled Eagle

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
What is a good size for roll cage pipe material as well as wall thickness?
I have an 88 I bought that took a hit to the roof so the previous owner took the top off as well as cut down the doors. I have a parts provider with a decent top end and doors and the pick up Bronco 2 seems like a good project for the 88.

compaqeo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/1988
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l v6
What is a good size for roll cage pipe material as well as wall thickness?
I have an 88 I bought that took a hit to the roof so the previous owner took the top off as well as cut down the doors. I have a parts provider with a decent top end and doors and the pick up Bronco 2 seems like a good project for the 88.
I used tube over pipe less weight. I went with 1.5" x 0.120 wall thickness. remember traingles :icon_welder:

lost86broncoii

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Awesome thread, totally convinced me. Next year I'm cutting the back off my "new" 92 exploder, or buying another BII to chop. Can't wait to see this BII finished. Not to jack the thread but any body got pics of chop top + roll cages on an explorer?

B2Guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
sorry havent had time to get on here in about a week guys. so i guess ill look into about 50 feet of tube. i was thinking 2" tube and maybe a .25 wall what do you think about that or is that over kill?

lost86 if you head on over to explorer forum.com and hit search im sure youll find plenty to help you out. good luck

04sd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'90 / '84
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 / 4.0
sorry havent had time to get on here in about a week guys. so i guess ill look into about 50 feet of tube. i was thinking 2" tube and maybe a .25 wall what do you think about that or is that over kill?

lost86 if you head on over to explorer forum.com and hit search im sure youll find plenty to help you out. good luck
IMHO, 0.25" is overkill and just adds extra weight up high where you don't want it. 2" x 0.120" will work.

B2Guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
does 0.120" wall equal out to about 1/8th"?
i know i deffinetly want to go with a 2" tube. Im online right now looking up material for a soft top so I can hopefully get everything going on it soon. so far everything that i've read says that either denim or vinyl are the best materials to use... any opinions on either?

im uploading some pics of my back hatch I cut down and put in place for now to see if I want to just use that and make it swing down or use a ranger tailgate. Im going to get some sheet metal and cover the inside of the tailgate so it will be all smooth looking if i decide to stick with it.

B2Guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
heres some pics... not even close to done. still have alot more in store.

The Mud Addict

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'85
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO
2in is overkill, 1.5in is plenty plus leaves you more head room. Also can tuck the 1.5 tighter to the body/rooflines:icon_welder:

B2Guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
well ill check out some pics of cages made from 1.5" tube.

TEK4x4

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
i would do 1.5 thats what mine is and its just the right size i attached a pic of what it looked like when i first got it done last spring. i can take some more close up ones tonight when i go work on the manual swap if you want.

Attachments