•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Finally did the 4.0 swap. What a beast!!!

greasemonkey6886

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Well let me get off my duff and get them for you then. I have to admit though, I didn't get a chance to clean the engine up any before putting it in it's new home so it's still got the road grime and dirt it had in the Explorer. I was trying to get it done faster than it actually got done and the way I pulled it wouldn't have been great for cleaning anyhow. What I mean by this is that instead of unhooking any of the harness from the engine I simply unhooked it from the body and layed over on top of the engine and pulled the harness with the engine. Figured that it would save time and boy did it, Besides why risk breaking all thoses little plastic clips that hold the plugs together and accidently miss hooking one back up. Anyhow I will post the pics I do have.

greasemonkey6886

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Ok hear they are.

And one of me getting caught taking a break on the job LOL. Actually was on the phone with my wonderful wife, whom by the way this truck is being built for. We have nick-named this truck "Little Foot". Long story.

Last edited:

greasemonkey6886

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I will get more pics of the completed and running engine compartment in a couple days if I don't get to busy.

greasemonkey6886

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
And here is some pics of project "step child" before any work has started. It's not pink but for some reason it looks like it in the pic. Watch for a build thread of it soon as the pieces are starting to come together to get started on her. Can't wait, shes been sitting about three years too long.

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
For me the change in motor helped in basic drivabilty even going slow its much more enjoyable to drive.

slow96gt

U.S. Military - Active
1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
i pulled my 4.0 the same way, was like a mile of wiring on top of it when i pulled it and put it in lol

country0001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
i pulled my 4.0 the same way, was like a mile of wiring on top of it when i pulled it and put it in lol
My buddy that helped me said none of that stuff could be on when I pulled the engine. So I pulled it all off and replaced the fan and waterpump. Guess it wasn't all bad. I'll pull it all together the next time.

greasemonkey6886

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I'll tell you one thing, for me anyhow it just made sense and semed to make it a ton easier. And yes it did seem like a mile of wiring on top of the engine, not to mention the bulky(well sorta) power distribution box. All in all I would do it again the same way most likely. just wish I would have took the time to detail things up a little better. Guess I still can but it will just be harder now. Biggest thing is that with all that open wiring I didn't want any water getting in the harness plugs. We all know how many gremlins that could have caused.

greasemonkey6886

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Quote:
My buddy that helped me said none of that stuff could be on when I pulled the engine. So I pulled it all off and replaced the fan and waterpump. Guess it wasn't all bad. I'll pull it all together the next time.

The only thing about putting it in all together that I found to be a pain is that you don't have much room at all between the firewall and radiator to the engine. It will just barely fit through there but will with a little massaging. Don't try to do it with the fan on though. That is the way I pulled it out of the Explorer and wound up breaking the fan but it was bad anyhow. As you can see I waited to put the new one on untill the engine was in.

74bronco2

January 2012 OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Liter
4.0 swap

The best 500 bucks i spent
The best swap I made

greasemonkey6886

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I agree 100% 74bronco2. Looks like you are or have done the same thing I am doing in my project step child also. Swapping the dash. Step child if you noticed in the pics is almost if not the same paint sceme as your and my donor was blue and silver. I plan to paint step child blue so I am swapping the blue dash and seats into it. Rest of interior will be for the most part gutted and bedlined. Build thread to start later tonight of tommorrow night in the under construction section.

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
I'm in the process of putting the 4.0 in my 88 Ranger super cab, I'm also putting the 92 Explorer Dash in, plus the complete wiring harness, the only thing I'm not using is the front axle, the Ranger is a two wheel drive, and I wanted to keep it that way, unfortunately, I'm also using the Explorers auto transmission, and the transfercase, so I guess I will have a low 2wd if I ever need it. UNLESS I can trade the transmission for a 2wd one or a 5 speed one.

Robert