•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

ford 8.8 differential cover

CurtisP87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I need to replace the fluid in my rear diff, but have never changed fluid in an axle without a drainplug. When I remove the 8 or 10 bolts (on the rear of the differential) and take the cover off, is there a drain plug under the cover, or is the cover itself whats holding the fluid in...? If the cover itself is holding everything in, I assume theres some sort of O-ring there to seal it that should be replaced also. I only have a Haynes manual for the BII, I havent acquired one for the explorer that the axles came from, so I was hoping someone else running the 8.8 could help me out!
Thanks in advance for any advice!

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
The cover is sealed to the diff case with RTV and is the only means of retention for the fluid. Get a green dish scrubbie pad, and a couple cans of brake cleaner, and a tube of Permatex Ultra Black silicone.

Clean the case and the cover well, if you are careful you can also use a razor blade. When reinstalling the cover run a bead of silicone about the size of what you'd use toothpaste wise when brushing your teeth. Run along the center line and to the INSIDE of the bolt holes, and then put it on, run the bolts in, and wait about 10 minutes before you start filling it up.

CurtisP87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
ok, thats just what i needed to know. Thanks for the quick response, I appreciate it!