•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Front axle question about 86 B2

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
I was told that my b2 has a solid front axle so both wheels spin at the same rate so your not suppose to use 4wd while turning on hard surfaces blah blah blah. Then as i watch some of the youtube videos with "stock" b2's around the same year their front wheels wont spin together. I understand positive traction and limited slip and lockers etc but i was just curious if my front axle wasnt solid. This is my first 4x4 so im still learning the ends and outs. Thanks for the help.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Thanks for the info that will be printed and put into my manual. I guess i am asking does the front two tires on an 86 b2 spin together or would they require lockers to do that?

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
If your front axle is stock it will require a locker of some kind. Unless someone can tell me I'm wrong and they had a limited slip in yours.

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Limited slip and solid axle are two very different things. Learn which is which and use the correct term. Nothing bothers me more than people who don't care enough to be bothered with using the correct terms for things.

Next, limited slip was an option for the front axle. It was very very rare. In fact I just saw my first limited slip front axle last week. See if you can read the tag still.

Finally, it doesn't matter if it's limited slip or not, you don't use 4x4 on a hard dry surface unless you are trying to break things.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Ok thats what i needed to know. The guy i bought it from had it since new and he tried to tell me that it had a solid front axle. I am not a 4x4 man so i couldnt argue with him. Im working to turn this into a trail riding truck and i needed to know because if it did have a solid axle i wouldnt need to worry about lockers but now that im sure it doesnt lockers will be added to the long list of parts needed.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Ok thats what i needed to know. The guy i bought it from had it since new and he tried to tell me that it had a solid front axle. I am not a 4x4 man so i couldnt argue with him. Im working to turn this into a trail riding truck and i needed to know because if it did have a solid axle i wouldnt need to worry about lockers but now that im sure it doesnt lockers will be added to the long list of parts needed.
How does a solid axle have anything to do with lockers?

Solid axle:

Locker:

You can have a solid axle without a locker and you can have a locker without a solid axle. They are not mutually inclusive. Please start using the right terms so that we can understand what you are trying to say.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Thats why i am here to try and learn the right terms when i say solid axle i mean an axle that both tires rotate at the same time and the same rate. I believe thats similar to a positive traction rear end but dont hold me to it. I do not know what the proper term is for that. Im learning all this stuff like a second language i have the questions but apparently not the right terminology to ask them correctly.

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
A solid axle is an axle that is one piece, like in the picture above. You most likely have a TTB, which was Ford's attempt to make an independent front axle with the strength of a solid axle.

If you want both tires on your front axle to get the same amount of power you want a locker. A locker distributes the engine power to both wheels.(this is the short description to get a better explanation look up "how a differential works" on youtube).

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
There are four different types of differentials: Open, limited slip, locker, and spool. Read this article to learn about these different types: http://www.bc4x4.com/faqs/yj.cfm?cat=7&faqid=156

No matter what type of differential you have, you should never use 4wd on dry pavement. Because even though the left and right tires can spin at different speeds, the front and rear wheels are locked together and forced to spin at the same speed. When you try and make a turn, the front and rear wheels (as well as the left and right) need to be able to spin at different speeds (basically all four wheels need to be able spin at different speeds from each other), otherwise you'll get binding and can break stuff. On slippery surfaces, this doesn't really matter because the wheels can "spin out" and slip to make up the difference in speed. So no matter what, 4wd is for slippery surfaces only.

Most Bronco IIs have an open front differential. As Adsm said, limited slip was a rare option.

"Solid axle" refers to the type of suspension you have, not the type of differential.
This is a solid axle:

Notice how you have one solid beam, which has the wheels connected on both sides.

Bronco IIs have independent front suspension, shown here:

Notice you have two separate axle beams, one for the driver's side wheel and one for the passenger side. The beams pivot up and down when you go over bumps, and they can move INDEPENDENTLY of each other. Hence the term independent front suspension (IFS). Note: there are a few different types of IFS, this one in particular is called "twin traction beam." It's pretty much a Ford-only system, used on most Ford trucks from 1980-1997. Most other IFS trucks use an SLA front suspension (That's a Google term for you.) Hope this wasn't too detailed. Read it over slowly a few times if you have to, it'll sink in eventually.

Last edited:

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Wow even with a crappy worded question that is the answer i needed. Thanks alot for yalls input. Hopefully with these answers next time i have a question ill know how to word it correctly.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
BIGGER
i bet the ol boy ordered a limited slip back then. ford listed it as a locking differential on the invoices quite often, which is wrong for us but right for them.

that is what he (the original owner) was getting at. you likely have limited slips front and rear. with some fender trimming, fresh repacking of the front clutches, a lunchbox locker in the rear and 31's you would have yourself one hell of a trail machine.

good score:icon_thumby:

is it a 2.9 5 speed?