•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

FSB 5.0 for a B2

Sultan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Just wondering why folks recommend using the Expo as a donor but not the FSB.

I have an 86 B2 4spd that needs a V8.

Thanks.

Mac

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Better heads, intake and the shorter front dress, usually a lot fewer miles than others. Cam and computer are the week points. Heads take different headers on the '97 1/2".
Dave

Psychopete

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
NONE
if by fsb you mean ford small block, an explorer 5.0L is a ford small block... you don't need to use an explorer engine.

armadillon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
I think he means Full Size Bronco. IIRC it's because of the bellhousing. The explorer had a RBV-based transmission already attached. Easier to swap. The FSB you'll have to find a different bellhousing for the proper transmission. It's not that fun.

Last edited:

Sultan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Yap I meant full sized bronco and thanks for the info!

alaskan155

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 1988
Vehicle
honda and ford
Engine Size
2.4l/5.0
I think he means Full Size Bronco. IIRC it's because of the bellhousing. The explorer had a RBV-based transmission already attached. Easier to swap. The FSB you'll have to find a different bellhousing for the proper transmission. It's not that fun.

negative, the explorer 5.0 uses the SBF pattern
351w/c, 302, 4.2l v6 essex, 3.8l v6 essex,
btw the explorer has the 4r70w for the 5.0 and 4r55e or 5r55e(i believe) for the 4.0

NOT the 4.0, 2.9 pattern, 2.8 pattern

the intake on the bronco is taller
have to change the oil pan on both to dual sump unless you have a SAS
explorer accessories are the shortest 5.0 accessories available, the bronco is the long accessory set
explorer has a better cam and heads from the factory, HO cam and gt40 heads basically vs Speed density cam and e7 heads.
explorer has better fuel injectors 4 port vs 1 port for better fuel atomization

both blocks and bottem end are basically the same

ive done the 5.0 bronco/f150 swap, its not worth it,

go with a explorer 96-91,
mustang(Any year sn95 is best)/thunderbird
town car
truck as last resort

Sultan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Thanks again for the info. One more question, if I want to keep the manual tranny should I look for a Mustang? Also my 86 B2 is a 4x4. Thanks.

Mac

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Mustang trans wont work with a 4x4. Most use the trans out of a F-150 and the x-fer case to avoid bucks for the adapter.
Dave

Sultan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Thanks again. So the best setup for my 86 B2 would be a 5.0, tranny and transfer case from the same year F150? True?

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
No, best setup would be Explorer 5.0, F-150 trans and t-case.

alaskan155

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 1988
Vehicle
honda and ford
Engine Size
2.4l/5.0
use a 97-03(prob up to 2010) 4.2l v6 transmission,it will put the shift in the right place,

in not atleast get on from an 86-96 bronco/f150 and the shifter/top plate from the 97-10 4.2l trans, bot a m5od i believe

t-case any basically
np205 will need extra support
np208 will need a ear cut off/frame cut depending on trans mount

my208 before i sold the bronco ii

and
bw photo from broncoii.org

get a bronco t-case they have fixed yoke, some f350 do to,
f150 are slip-yoke on the transfer case

if i was in the position to do a v8 swap again in a bronco ii would do a 4.0ohv or SOHC before a v8... be a hell of alot easier
i started with a f150 5.0 for my swap and got in over my head, and the bronco ii became a money pit/where i moved to emissions moved in), so i sold it(got a offer couldn't refuse) because i knew it would never be street worthy, the 5.0 from a f150/bronco is the worst donor. if you do the explorer 5.0 with all electronics and emissions it will pass emissions pretty much anywhere

Last edited:

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
And for crying out loud, its SBF!! lol ;)

85_Ranger4x4

December 2013 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
Nothing REALLY wrong with the '150 for a donar, HO cams are cheap and easily swapped and a couple hours in a JY will get you the short Explorer FEAD if you want to go that route.

It does take some work to get the Explorer FEAD to work in a older truck, the alternator plug connector doesn't interchange and the power steering line has to be changed. If you run a different kind of ignition it is kind of a PITA to get to time because of the bulky bracket right in front of the dizzy.

I haven't found an Explorer 5.0 in the JY with under 150k that didn't look like it had the tar beat out of it. Most are over 200k... big gamble for a swap IMO. You will have to swap the pan either way, the Ex pan won't fit a TTB truck either.

The long drive is still very doable, especially if you push the radiator ahead. I just got home from a car show that had a '85 BII body on a '76 EB running gear, it had an aftermarket two row radiator mounted in a similar fashion as the stock radiator and the EB v-belt drive with the stock steel fan.

The top covers are not interchangeable on the 96 and earlier M5OD vs the 97 and later M5OD. They quit using them in '08 and I am not for sure if they are the same as the 97-03 trans or if they changed them. The shift forks are steel in the earlier ones and are thicker and made of aluminum in the later ones.

As long as it is compliant with the same model year or newer most places won't care if you have a '88 EFI engine in your '86 BII or a '98 engine. Newer is newer and newer is cleaner, that is all they care about.

Last edited: