•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Fuel Filter Conversion?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Alright, I have a 86 bronco ii fi with the black canister type fuel filter. Somehow, the damn thing cracked and leaks now, which is a pain because i cant find a replacement. However, I have found an easy solution to the fix but I need some help. There are two fuel lines that are on that frame rail. I have a fuel filter, the shiny inline filter that fits one of the lines. The other line, however is a just a bit bigger to fit on that filter, so I have to find another one that fits. Does anyone know what filter it is? Any other alternatives?

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
The piece you are talking about is still available at NAPA. Get the later one that doesn't have a real filter in it so that you don't have to worry about it breaking. The inline filter up by the engine is more than enough.

LIMA BEAN

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
The one WITHOUT the filter in it says right on the case DO NOT OPEN. There is also a different one for duel tanks from what I remember.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
There is also a different one for duel tanks from what I remember.
The one for duel tanks is actually a selector valve. The fuel module he is looking for is actually to take the place of the selector on the single tank models so they didn't have to have 3 or 4 different fuel systems and line setups.

LIMA BEAN

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
The one for duel tanks is actually a selector valve. The fuel module he is looking for is actually to take the place of the selector on the single tank models so they didn't have to have 3 or 4 different fuel systems and line setups.
I suppose we should be calling them "Fuel Reservoir's/accumulators". He has a "Single function" where as for dual tanks it is a "Dual function", correct? There are treads on here some where and I remember posting both pics with internal views also. Been a few years.

Edit: Yea ton of posts about them, here is just one AllenD posted up in so he is in the know also for ?'s.

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-20886.html

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
The piece you are talking about is still available at NAPA. Get the later one that doesn't have a real filter in it so that you don't have to worry about it breaking. The inline filter up by the engine is more than enough.
Really? What is it called then? I have been looking for the fuel filter housing on AutoZone and Napa and haven't found anything except for the inline filter.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
BIGGER
i would just make jumpers/splices or get a later line to the hp filter.

take about 10 minutes to snag at a junkyard.

LIMA BEAN

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Will that cause an issue with not having the internal check valves that the reservoir has inside it?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
BIGGER
i see where your going with that though.

if i had an old school rig

i would swap to two mustang pumps in that case with my own added check valve.

LIMA BEAN

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Even with all the prongs on that valve will it still work for my bronco?
The example pic you posted had 4 ports IIRC and the short bowl, you got that pic off a ford motors site because we posted it before years ago. The other with the true filter just has a longer filter bowl and you can un screw the lower bowl. You need the single function and no a double function is moot. I didnt look back at what I posted but the full size say F-150 and Bronco share that part.