•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Fuel Problem- I have fuel pressure

speed1995

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I recently bought a 1990 Bronco II non-running. I bought a fuel pressure tester kit and the fuel pressure to the fuel rails is the same as my 1986 which runs good. Can anyone help? I need to know so I don't spend $400 on something I don't need.

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
I think we need some more clues.If it starts with a spray but not with its own gas i've had gas deteriorate from sitting to where the car just completely ignored that it was there mixed in some fresh ran great.

heptofite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
check the injector wiring and if possible bench-test the injectors themselves.

no injector, no fire.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Got spark?

Bad or settled fuel may be the issue. Both injector banks not working would be unlikely but not impossible. But if only one bank is firing it should either try to catch or start and run very poorly.

TFI modules go bad while sitting too though.

speed1995

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Yes, It has spark. I will look into the TFI module. Thanks for the tips so far.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Well if you have spark the TFI may not be at fault. Is it good hot white/blue spark or crappy weak orange spark?

speed1995

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
It was good spark. The Bronco II sat for a few years. I really want to get it running and need to diagnose the problem.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Ok, got fuel to the rail. That rules out pumps, lines, and probably filter.

Got sparks. Rules out pickup, TFI, coil.

I'm assuming that you tried starting it with the throttle partially depressed, so we are gonna rule out air.

Noid light to test the injector circuits. Make sure your gas is good. Check the computer, make sure there isn't water leaking down into that area.

Shran

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
I'm assuming that you tried starting it with the throttle partially depressed, so we are gonna rule out air.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't opening the throttle on a fuel injected Ford cut power to the injectors?

I think this sounds to me like it could be timing, injectors, or even a compression issue.

speed1995

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
The Bronco II leaks and water could leak around the computer. I don't know why the injectors would be toast if the rest of the fuel system is fine.

Shran

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
They could be physically broken, ie clogged or otherwise just not working. Seems unlikely though - if your problem is injector related then I'd guess it's either a ground or broken wire in the harness, or the ECM since it controls how and when the injectors fire.

This is all speculation though, just test your injector plugs with a test light while cranking the engine over. Should flash rapidly, if you have nothing then it's a power issue.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't opening the throttle on a fuel injected Ford cut power to the injectors?
You are half correct. If you hold the pedal to the floor, opening it enough to trip the WOT relay, that puts the engine in clear-flood and will disable the fuel system.

Putting the pedal down just a bit, enough to open the plate up a little and let some air in, will bypass a bad IAC and let the engine start. If that's the cause of your no-start the engine will die if you let go, but it will start.

n_grimm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I would pull the plugs and see if they are gas fouled. If so I would replace them no matter how new they are. Maybe even crank it over with all the plugs out and the throttle wide open to dry the cylinders out. I recently got mine running after sitting six years. It ran great when warm but when cold it was nearly impossible to start. I suspect old gas doesn't burn very well and needs all the help it can get.

Last edited:

speed1995

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Ok, I will explain the steps the best I can.
Used a code scanner and came up with no problems
Found that the line to the fuel regulator was plugged with rust- took care of that
Tried to start it with starting fluid- didn't start
Realized that the fuel injector main harness was disconnected (assumed someone before had tested voltage there).
Connected it back up
Tried to start it again with starting fluid
after a couple tries it fired up and ran off super old gas
It was not running on all cylinders but some fresh gas reached it and it ran really smooth
headed to the auto parts store for oil, air filter, oil filter, and a new 2" id hose to replace the cracked fuel filler hose (gas just poured out until it was fixed).
Put 5 gallons of fresh gas in with fuel injector cleaner
Ran it for 30 minutes
Runs good but I have a grinding when I stepped on the gas at about 2,000 rpm

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
What sort of grinding? 2.9's are famous for top end rattling (lifter noise), but grinding is never good.

speed1995

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I think it has to do with the transmission. Could it just be from sitting for years?