•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Hard to explain 4WD issue

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Today in Ohio we got a decent amount of snow from the time I got to work to when I left.

The expressways were coated and everyone was going 10mph or under.

I had the Bronco in 4WD.

It was stop and go most of the way, and I began to notice something odd.

Normally all 4 wheels pull at the same time when in 4WD. I know without a locker the may spin once pulling, but there should not be any play between the front and rear wheels.

Tonight, though, when I gave it gas, I could fell the back tires spin and then feel a shudder when the front wheels grabbed. It was not a spin out, it literally felt like the front end had a second delay before it recieved power.

How is this possible? I still have 4WD...No abnormal noises... I've been driving with the hubs locked for 2 months with no issues.

There is a fair bit of play in the front driveshaft though, I can turn it about 1/4 a turn in either direction with the transfer case in 2wd and the hubs locked. Should the front diff have this much play?
:icon_confused:

whocares

Reaction score
Perfect timing on this question. We just got a few inches of snow today in Louisville Ky. I have the same issue as your describing, I just got the BII a couple weeks ago so this is the first occasion I have had to really drive it in 4wd. First BII I have ever owned and was wondering if this was common for them, but apparently it isnt. Hope someone will give us an answer.

Ron

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Reaction score
Could be any number of things. It could be the gear setup has changed for whatever reason giving you the extra play in the drive shaft (you should be able to turn it some) and it could also be a failing transfer case (which doesn't happen very often in RBV's).

Just an FYI, unless you have a locker on both ends, only 1 front and 1 rear wheel will put power to the ground. They are usually opposite of each other as well.

RustedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Me too!! I checked my 4wd last fall and it worked fine. Yesterday I tried it out after/during the snow and it makes a "bang" when I give it gas.....it seems like it's coming from the rear and I was thinking the same thing,it seems like the either the front or back is pulling different then the other. It doesn't do it in reverse. Last summer I kept more air pressure in the front tires and I'm wondering if this has anything to do with it since I haven't adjusted the pressure.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Mine doesn't bang. I can feel it slip and then off I go. Why the innital slip if the front wheels obviously have traction?

I've driven this in the snow for 10 years and this is the first I've noticed it.

It originally had the Auto case and hubs, but the manual case is about 5 years old and I got it from a junkyard for $30.

Never had any issues until now.

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Reaction score
One good way to tell it isn't in the front axle is to jack one side up on the front, lock the hub in on the side you have raised, unlock the other one. Put the transfer case in 2wd. Make sure there isn't excessive play in the drive shaft before the pinion gear makes contact with the ring gear.

Also, pull the drive shaft out and make sure there are no spline damage on it.

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Reaction score
One good way to tell it isn't in the front axle is to jack one side up on the front, lock the hub in on the side you have raised, unlock the other one. Put the transfer case in 2wd. Make sure there isn't excessive play in the drive shaft before the pinion gear makes contact with the ring gear.

Also, pull the drive shaft out and make sure there are no spline damage on it.

whocares

Reaction score
Mine doesnt do it every time, but it is happening often. Its just like Jspafford said, the front driveline is a second or so behind the rear when engaging.

Ron

RustedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Well I called my cousin to ask him since he has a lot more experiance with 4x4s. I went to my uncles shop and put it on the lift....the U-joints for the front drive axels are shot :( so since I dont have or want to spend the money to fix them I will just use the 4wd when I absolutely have too.

binks0678

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
arent front u joints like 15 apiece? just replace em there easy