•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Has anyone tried changing the headlights?

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
I was looking on ebay the other day and seen some headlights that were suppose to fit the 86 B2. The headlights were a conversion where you can change the headlights to accept the halogen bulbs instead of having to replace the whole headlight. The whole kit was only like $35 but I was just curious if anyone out there has changed their headlights from the stock ones to ones that accept a halogen bulb. Thanks!

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I bought the LMC kit for my Ranger a few years ago. I like them. Much clearer light than the factory refracted bulbs.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0

Tb8983

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Not big enough
I have done the hid light swap in my 89 b2 and also did one in my 84 Toyota swap was easy plug and play for the most part. Other then having to take old bulbs out. Highly recommend doing the swap

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
I have done the hid light swap in my 89 b2 and also did one in my 84 Toyota swap was easy plug and play for the most part. Other then having to take old bulbs out. Highly recommend doing the swap
HID? or Aftermarket Halogen lights?

As there are NO aftermarket true "HID" lights that retrofit to older lamp housings.

And if I ever saw you in oncomming traffic you'd better have an armored windshield to go with them to stop any high misses I send towards your headlamps

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
I am wanting to change my headlights from the type that come from the factory to the ones where you can just pop the bulb out the back. It just seems like a butt to have to remove the whole headlight when it burns out instead of just popping the bulb out the back and changing bulbs in a few minutes.

chrwilkins30

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
It just seems like a butt to have to remove the whole headlight when it burns out instead of just popping the bulb out the back and changing bulbs in a few minutes.
how often are you changing headlights. They should last at least minimum of 4 years. its only 2 screws and one spring to replace.

broncograveyard sells a kit aswell.

http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-94904-h4-headlight-conversion-lights-square.html

Edit: looked at the lmc ones and they seem to be the same as the BG ones. same description and look.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Five years in since the swap and I have no complaints yet.
It's not about them falling off the truck, it's about the quality of the light distribution. and that isn't only "illuminating the road" but how they
either DO or DO NOT glare in the eyes of oncoming traffic.

Headlights are optical devices and in a way rather like eyeglasses or a camera lens.

And my POINT was that they are not only poor quality but OVERPRICED for what you get.

LMC pretty everything LMC sells can be had cheaper elsewhere

they are better than the "milk bottle" headlamps that american lightbulb companies bribed the SAE into requiring in this country for nearly 50 years, but that isn't exactly a recommendation to choose them when something better is available.

in this area the Europeans wer FAR ahead of america for 40-odd years.

how often are you changing headlights. They should last at least minimum of 4 years. its only 2 screws and one spring to replace.
You aren't changing anything unless you spend time tailgating at
high speeds on gravel roads... because al the headlamps being
discussed use replacemable H4/HB2/9003 bulbs

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Well im not sure how easy its suppose to be i figured it had to be easier than the way i had to do it but the only way mine would come out is when i removed the grille from the truck. Thats why i was wanting to change to the bulbs because i cant get mine out without the removal of the grille

509lifted

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l, 4.0 v6
they do come out without removing the grill the screws are a little harder to get out when the grill is on but its doable cause i had to change mine last summer and i took the grill off and then had to change one just recently and did it with the grill on