•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Help?! 4.0l Starter motor change

captainnova

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Hey everyone, I've got an 86 Bronco II with a 4.0l out of a 92 explorer, manual trans.

The starter motor has been acting up the last little while, and I just want to get a new one installed so I don't have to worry about it anymore. I know a fair bit about cars, but I'm no Mechanic. Just wondering what's the easiest way to go about installing the new starter.
Thanks in advance for any help!

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Supporting Member
1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Disconnect the ground wire from the battery, remove the 3 bolts holding the starter to the bellhousing, remove the starter, disconnect the wires, then reverse the process with the new starter...
SVT

djt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
It's fairly easy. Disconnect the battery first. There's two bolts for the starter itself and two wires. Once the starter bolts are out, it'll slide out. You can take the wires off before or after the starters out, but it is a tight fit. There's a wire adapter with new starters so just crimp the small wire where it says and put it all back together. :icon_thumby:

greasemonkey6886

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
4.0 starter options

For what it's worth, the only difference in the auto and manual starters is the nose cone. If you need a manual starter and cam only find an auto in the jy buy it and carefully swap out the nose from your old one to the new one. I've personnally done this twice with no problems. It will work the other way also, swapping the manual nose for tha auto nose.
Paul

captainnova

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Alright, thanks for the tips.. figured it was a pretty easy job to get done!
Would I be better off removing the wheel to get at it, or does it make much of a difference?
Thanks again

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Supporting Member
1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Wheel removal not needed :icon_thumby:
SVT

--weezl--

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
starter motor is inboard of the frame, where as the wheel, the only thing removing the wheel will do is help you slide under the car easier (if it's on jacks/jackstand...)

more or less, disconnect your battery, and start pulling bolts that look like it holds the starter in, and any wires connected to it... you're done...

IF the starter has long bolts (6+ inches long) running down the sides of the starter, those are NOT them, regardless of how good they look!

captainnova

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
yeah it looks like a tight squeeze to get in there, but im sure ill manage! and ill be sure not to pull out any long bolts ahah thanks

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
I'd call it about a 1 beer job, because they both take about the same time to finish.