•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Honing of aluminum wheels>

MarkB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
BII 2.8 Ranger 2.3
Need some info on honing out the center on a set of aluminum wheels to fit over the auto hubs. Has this been done before? if so, what method should I use? The wheels to be honed are off of a 97 Ford Edge going on a 85 BII. If there is a way to eliminate the honing of wheels would be great via a hub mod or any ideas you have would be appreciated! Thank you.

holeshot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Ford made the Edge in 97?

How much of a difference is there between the OD of the hub and the ID of the wheel center? I would be skeptical about doing any machining on a wheel for fear of compromising the strength or integrity of the wheel as it was designed. It might also be a pain to balance them if you dont get it right.

There might be a different hub...but that, I dont know. Good luck!

Last edited:

MarkB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
BII 2.8 Ranger 2.3
sorry about the year,, they are 07.It looks like there is short of a 1/4" difference between the wheel center and the hub if you measure top to bottom.

holeshot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
lol...no need to apologize. i was just confused because i thought that the edge only came out a few years ago.

as far as taking 1/4" off all around depends on how much material is there currently between the wheel center and the bolt hole circle. without looking at it, i cant make a good judgement call.

MarkB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
BII 2.8 Ranger 2.3
It looks like after its bored, there will be 1/2" from the bolt hole (closest point), to the edge of the wheel hole. I measured the stock rim and it has 1/2" also. Has anyone ever cut down the auto hub itself?

Bogdon

Reaction score
I would be more worried about back spacing differences. I would not try any DIY method of removing material from those wheels, you really need a lathe

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I wouldn't try removing material from the hub casing either. you run a huge risk of cracking a hub in 4x4. That happens and BAM!!! no more 4x4.

jwsewell

July 2011 STOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ranger
Engine Size
5.0L
A few years ago I was into Nissan Hardbody minitrucks and wanted to mount some Chevy Z71 wheels on the Nissan. Well the nissan hub is much larger than the center hole in the Z71 wheels.

The center hole needed to be enlarged by 1 inch total.

What I did was use a router and a 1/2 inch bit and slowly cut out the centers, about 1/8 inch deep on each cut.
Worked great and the center holes are still perfectly centered. The wheels do not wobble or hop at all on the balancer. :yahoo:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_49784-353-85614MC_0_?productId=1090869&Ntt=router bits&Ntk=i_products&pl=1

that is the bit I used. If you only need 1/4 inch larger on the hole use a 1/8 inch bit.

MarkB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
BII 2.8 Ranger 2.3
Im diggin the router bit idea but need to go approx 1.4" deep into the wheel from the front side. The back side of the wheel looks like the hub will fit fine. Bogdon, I appreciate your concern for the back spacing and did not mention the addition of a 4" suspension lift. Is the back spacing still going to be an issue? Thanks to all of you who are helping me out with this.

chvlfrk

December 2010 STOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
V8
I have had this done twice on Jeep Canyon wheels by a machine shop, it costs me $10 per wheel, then I used push-through center caps, and have had NO ISSUES:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

rockwerks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 mazda b400
Vehicle
1996 Jeep chero
I have done it on a drill press with bi metal holesaws slowly and methodically all 4 turned out perfect

mini274

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
A few years ago I was into Nissan Hardbody minitrucks and wanted to mount some Chevy Z71 wheels on the Nissan. Well the nissan hub is much larger than the center hole in the Z71 wheels.

The center hole needed to be enlarged by 1 inch total.

What I did was use a router and a 1/2 inch bit and slowly cut out the centers, about 1/8 inch deep on each cut.
Worked great and the center holes are still perfectly centered. The wheels do not wobble or hop at all on the balancer. :yahoo:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_49784-353-85614MC_0_?productId=1090869&Ntt=router bits&Ntk=i_products&pl=1

that is the bit I used. If you only need 1/4 inch larger on the hole use a 1/8 inch bit.
me too except mine were tahoe wheels and i used a 12 inch brake lathe to do mine at the college i went to... took me 2 days but balanced out perfect.. the a grinder to round the edges and some clear coat and i was in their... while every body else was grinding their hubs down i kept it safe and cut my wheels out

MarkB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
BII 2.8 Ranger 2.3
Okay, here is another brain fart... I did check the back spacing as suggested and found that these wheels "even after the mod and the 4" suspension installation" will be kinda close. Has anyone ever put 2" spacers over the auto hub??? I hear by some they are safe and others say they are not. With 2" spacers, I wouldnt have to touch the wheels at all and actually looks real good! This BII is going to be driven by my wife and she does a lot of highway driving. BTW, your pictures look great! Thank again!