•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

How much transmission fluid will I loose

XTC90BII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
Do what you can with what you have where you are
So I have a 1990 BII with automatic transmission and factory AC. I have developed a crack in my radiator which has the transmission fluid cooler. I have ordered a new radiator, water pump, upper and lower radiator hoses, thermostat and 3 new belts. My question is when I disconnect the transmission cooler lines how much transmission fluid will I loose? I want to make sure I have enough fluid on hand to replace. I will do a radiator flush before installing the new radiator to flush out the system. Thinking 2 gallons of antifreeze on hand should be enough to refill the system.

Thanks

Dennis

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
You won’t loose much. Grab two quarts. Make it 3 because it good to always have extra and it never gets any cheaper.

XTC90BII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
tw205

Thanks I always keep 1 on hand will pick up another one. Picked up 2 gallons of antifreeze today.

Dennis

XTC90BII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
So it turns out I lost about half of a quart of transmission fluid when I replaced the radiator. I also replaced the 8 blade fan with a OEM Ford Motorcraft fan . The original fan had several cracks so I thought best to replace. Bought the last one on e-bay for $115. Now everything dealing with cooling has been replaced. The funny part was even though I have a XLT with the 931 package which includes factory AC I had to replace the radiator with one for automatic transmission and w/o AC. The radiator listed for Auto with factory AC would not fit and had to be returned to Rockauto and the correct radiator reordered.

Dennis