•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Hydraulic questions FM 146

CarsonChris

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990/87
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0/2.9
I'm trying to do a swap on my BII. I have an FM 146. I have a clutch pedal and all the workings from an FM 145. I've heard there are differences in the hydraulics. The lines to and from the transmissions are different. What else are the differences?

SenorNoob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I know driveshaft length is supposed to be different. Maybe shifter position?

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
The 146 is 2 inches longer, so the drive shafts are different accordingly.

The master cylinders are the same, but the lines and slaves are the same. The shifters are a bit different as well.

Either pedal will work with either trans, but you can't put the later triple function clutch switch on the older pedal arm, they get in each other's way and the switch gets popped off the rod.

Last edited:

CarsonChris

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990/87
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0/2.9
The 146 is 2 inches longer, so the drive shafts are different accordingly.

The master cylinders are the same, but the lines and slaves are the same. The shifters are a bit different as well.

Either pedal will work with either trans, but you can't put the later triple function clutch switch on the older pedal arm, they get in each other's way and the switch gets popped off the rod.
If I decide to go with the triple function switch it has 6 wires. Two pink two green and two black and white stripped. Anyone know how they wire in?

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Well the triple function switch is just sending the same signal to multiple places. One is used for the cruise, one for starting, and I don't remember where the other one goes.

Like I said though, if you are using an 87 clutch pedal arm you cannot use the cylindrical triple function switch because the shape of the arm will knock it off the push rod when you put the clutch down. I would just use the old style switch, it's easier to do the wiring.

CarsonChris

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990/87
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0/2.9
Clutch pedal and master cylinder are in.

Is it best to just swap bell housings from the 145 to the 146? I don't want a problem with the hydraulics.

Everything out of the front of the 145 and 146 are the same other than the slave?