•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

i dont understand.....rear main seal. need advice

broncobuckinaround

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
07/86
Vehicle
ford
fresh rebuild only 300+ miles and the seal starts to leak. thought is was the oil pan gasket towards the rear. i pulled the motor out and took off the oil pan. noticed the ream main seal was on backwards. flipped it and put on a new oil pan gasket. the rms is new btw. i dont understand after putting it back together and starting it. the motor warmed up and it started to leak again. i dont get it.

when the crank is machined do they machine the part where the seal sits.
do they make seals to fit milled carnkshafts.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
No the seal area is not machined. Tell me how you knew it was backwards? A small nick in the crank surface can cause a leak. Or, obviously a ridge or worn area. Was the rear seal leaking before rebuild?

Broncojumper87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I would pull the rear main run your finger around the surface a feel for a nic or a scratch then smooth it out with some emery cloth. All so a good quality seal might help too.

broncobuckinaround

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
07/86
Vehicle
ford
adsm08, what is a speedi sleeve

broncojumper, i will do that as soon as i get back out. removing the motor is easier for me so ill get great access.

petesponies, the flat back wasnt facing the tranny, also it was not leaking before it came apart, before the rebuild.

so my friend slash car guru said that because it was installed beckwards that it may have ruined the seal. is this true?

and do it have to remove the oil pan to get it out and reinstall the new one.

thx guys

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
I thought you are saying you removed the seal and reinstalled it? But you are asking if the oil pan needs to be removed??

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
First off never reinstall any seal allways put in a new seal. Yes use a high quality seal and put a light coat of engine oil on the crankshaft before you press it in, it only take a second to burn up a dry seal at 1000 rpms. Put the seal with the spring inside the engine.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
It's a thin metal sleeve that can be installed on the end of a crank shaft where the seal has worn a groove in the shaft rather than replacing the shaft.

broncobuckinaround

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
07/86
Vehicle
ford
petesponies, yes i did remove the seal sorry for the confusion. when i did the oil pan gasket i removed it because it was installed backwards the first time.

kim, lesson well learned. lmao. i will remember the engine oil when installing the new seal. whats the best tool to use when pressing it in. and am i waiting for it to pop in or will it stop on its own

adsm08, that might be what i have to do. now where can i get one. ive heard after you told me about this that they only go on the front.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
I just use a large socket with the extension put in backwards for a big flat surface and carefully tap around in a circle and slowly work it in. If you screw up and bend it just get another seal you dont want to be back there in the near future.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
OK, so are you asking if you can remove it again this not not taking down the oil pan? And the answer should be yes, but the trans has to be removed.
As for which was a seal goes in a the lip always faces in the direction the oil will be coming from. Therefore, the lips faces the engine.

broncobuckinaround

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
07/86
Vehicle
ford
ok thx to both of u for the info. i know much more about this subject now. and i feel confident that it will get done correctly.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ranger long cab
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Also, try to replace the seal slightly off where it was located, so that the lip is on a fresh area of the shaft.

broncobuckinaround

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
07/86
Vehicle
ford
so if there is a groove of some sort. should i be able to feel it with my finger. if so ill get the speedy sleeve and press it on.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Yes, if there's a groove or significant wear you will be able to see it and/or feel it.

broncobuckinaround

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
07/86
Vehicle
ford
hey guys sorry it has been a while since my last update.

lmao i kept !@#$%^& up the new seals. but i finally got one in that should work. lol this ones not bent. this will be the third and 60 bucks later. fml. lol.

ill be finishing everything buttoning up today after work. almost done.