•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

I have a question for V8 owners.

89 Bronco II

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I am really close to putting down my motor but I need to order some parts first. I need to know what kind of electric fuel pump to get. I have a carbed 302 and I dont know the flow rates. if anyone could help Id appreciate it.

baddad457

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ranger
I'm running a 30-35 gal/hr Purolator/MrGasket electric pump. It's plenty fuel for three carbs at WOT on a 400 horse 331. The Purolator pump is 9 years old now. The Mr Gasket (this'n is on my 77 Comet) is 4 years old. Never had any problems with either pump.

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
I don't think you have to run a regulator with those either.
I have a Holley Blue but it has to be regulated down or it will kill the float and flood like crap.

alaskan155

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 1988
Vehicle
honda and ford
Engine Size
2.4l/5.0
mr gasket 12s here

HOT_ROD_CAR

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
351 Cleveland
I am really close to putting down my motor but I need to order some parts first. I need to know what kind of electric fuel pump to get. I have a carbed 302 and I dont know the flow rates. if anyone could help Id appreciate it.
I am using a Procomp (red) for my carbed 351C. :icon_thumby:

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
396W
I would recommend a regulator on any electric pump. I holley blue need a return regulator for sure as well as any high pressure (8-14ish psi) carb pump. If you dont use a return regulator you will get a surge and will flood the carb just as if you were not using a regulator at all. I'm running a holley blue and a holley return regulator.

Matt

baddad457

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ranger
Running a regulator isn't a bad idea, but neither the Purolator nor the Mr Gasket need one. I have one on the Ranger, but never got around to using one on the Comet. The Mr Gasket in the Comet is the 12S pump. It's pretty much the same pump as the Purolator.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1936/1989
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
V-8...Carbed/fo-barrel
I couldn't find a return style regulator in the area, so I kept the OEM in-tank pump....added a t-fitting before the carb with a .060. restrictor....a fuel pressure gauge...and tied it into the OEM return line.....It gots 8psi to the carb at all times & the left-over 27 psi returns to the tank at idle or WOT.....

.......or.........did i do it that way cause i was too cheap..............?

Boggin

Reaction score
im gonna be running a 9psi pump with my carbd 351 modified

huntin_muddin_91

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
4.0/302 v8
just ran airtec pump w/ 7-9psi. on a switch in case she ever floods. pulled the sending unit rigged a 79 chevy screen to the return side useed stock fuel rail threw inline filters a new float assembly and guage (the old went defunc) dont seem to have any issues yet w/ pressure but plan to get a pressure guage eventually for peace of mind, wasn the cheapest route but got the job done

dcwroth

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I had great luck with the mallory comp 140 pump, it came with a regulator,and a mallory filter. I got it all brand new in the box at a swap meet for $150.00.[
[/IMG]

Last edited:

baddad457

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ranger
I couldn't find a return style regulator in the area, so I kept the OEM in-tank pump....added a t-fitting before the carb with a .060. restrictor....a fuel pressure gauge...and tied it into the OEM return line.....It gots 8psi to the carb at all times & the left-over 27 psi returns to the tank at idle or WOT.....

.......or.........did i do it that way cause i was too cheap..............?
:icon_idea:Naw, you did it because you are really MCGUYVER:D