•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

ICM - how to change it?

Catterman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9V6
I am going to try and change out my ignation module this week, I do have that special socket. Do I just remove the dist cap and rotor and then it sits down there and I can remove it and install the new one? Or is it more difficult then that? This is on my 1990 B2.

THank you!:icon_hornsup:

chandymanusa

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
Nope I changed mine without removing either just make sure you use the gel that come with new icm. If not will toast the new one.

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 2001
Vehicle
1989=Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Takes long arms and a bit of twisto. But you can do it without pulling anything.

Clean off the old mount where the TFI sits. It will have a coating of white goobersnot on it. That's the old gel. The module pulls downwards after you remove the screws to remove it. Carefully coat the new module mating surface with gel (it's actually called "Dielectric grease". Same sort of thing they use on computer CPUS to mate with heat sinks") Reinstall and you should be good to go.

S-

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I just crawl up on top of it, and lay down on the intake. Unless you have really big arms you should be able to reach around back and undo the screws and not have to take anything else apart.

And don't use dielectric grease, go to RadioShack and spend an extra $2.50 for proper heat sync gel. I think the little tube will do two or three rounds.

Catterman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9V6
THanks for the advice, I will give it a shot this weekend and let you know how it goes :)

richard booth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.9 for now.
Just did mine, piece of cake w the 5.5 tool from any auto parts store (orileys had it for 6 bucks) the one I got had the white thermo grease and my B2 runs killer since I changed it.

Catterman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9V6
I just changed mine yesterday. :) It ended up only being a 1 beer job, I was kinda hoping for a 3 beer job ;)

On another note, what does this thing really do? They previous owner of my B2 just told me I should have it changed, but I am not sure why?