•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Ignition Module

Blueheeler47

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I had to replace the ignition module last year on my "85", while I was at, new plugs, wires, rotor and distributor cap, ran great for a while and then suddenly quit. Same thing it had done before, so I took off the ignition module and had it tested, was bad, installed the new one, ran great for a few days, quit again, another bad ignition module, installed new one, but now it will not start. I am about the furtherest thing from a mechanic as you can get, any suggestions as to what might be causing my problems?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Article Contributor
Reaction score
The first thing you need to do is check the condition of the plug on the module for cracks and/or missing insulation. Then you need to trace the wires from your module to make sure they don't have any missing insulation, and aren't grounding out.

Also make sure your module mounting screws are in good condition and that the module is making a good ground condition at the screw.

Blueheeler47

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Thanks for the suggestions Jim, I did replace the plug going to the module, I got new screws when I ordered the plug, had already lost one when taking it off the first time. Will see if I can find any other problems with wiring.

Blueheeler47

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Ok Jim, got back under the hood today, discovered the rotor was broke and had cracked the distributor cap. Replaced those, still no luck, oreilly's thought the pick up might have been damaged. We have to pull the distributor to replace the pick up right? Do you haven a resource that would detail that for us? Or, anything else we should check before we do that?

TIA for your help!

Blueheeler47

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Thanks for the info AB, we had the ignition module and it was good, Being shade tree mechanics, and not very good ones at that, we're fishing!