•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Is this Bad?

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
well, i'm pretty sure i got a head gasket problem. it's on the oil cap and valve cover but not on the dipstick. radiator has a little pressure after driving but not much. also got white smoke when its idling and ALOT when i rev it.

i'm gonna fix this myself, how much should it cost? just the price of a gasket? seems like it was about $1000 when this happened in high school and i def cant afford that. anything i need to look out for? thanks in advance

IlovemybroncII

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Chev
For
Engine Size
350/2.9/2.9
yup its bad and have you ever change out head gaskets

Bronco_Chuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 86 & 89
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 & 2.9
i think the last time i did head gaskets they were like $50 each or something then another $20 for the intake gaskets. be careful not to warp the head, and cross your fingers that its not cracked. but nowhere near $1000

Epixstar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
a good trick to try when trying to find out if there is any water in the oil is to pull the dipstick out and hold a lighter to it if it smokes its oil. if you hear snap crackle and pop its got water in it. gets some beer and some buddies should not be too hard to change out.

Last edited:

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
yup its bad and have you ever change out head gaskets
yeah, they were changed about 10 years ago, that was on mom and dads dime tho. i got my BII running in october of last year and before that it sat for about a year, i'm thinking some of the gaskets dried out

i think the last time i did head gaskets they were like $50 each or something then another $20 for the intake gaskets. be careful not to warp the head, and cross your fingers that its not cracked. but nowhere near $1000
autozone has a set of Felpro gaskets, comes with head gaskets, valve cover, throttle body, plenum,exhaust manifold and some others that i couldnt make out in the pic.....$73.99 for the set. i think i could do it in a day. it isnt my DD so i'm gonna look around the net and see if i can find some for a little cheaper. autozone has just the head gaskets also, but they're $20.99 a piece....might as well buy the set

a good trick to try when trying to find out if there is any water in the oil is to pull the dipstick out and hold a lighter to it if it smokes its oil. if you hear snap crackle and pop its got water in it. gets some beer and some buddies should not be too hard to change out.
i'll try that but there was no "milk" on it at all even after it had been running.

thanks for the input guys.

Last edited:

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
You probably have a small leak at the gasket, or a cracked water jacket.

Get your gaskets, get your buddies, and get your gaskets replaced.

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
You know there is a test for this you can buy about $30.Takes a good day if you don't have any big problems just small ones.the 4.0 takes bolts too don't know about 2.9.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 doesn't require headbolts be changed every time. I'd do it anyway.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
You know there is a test for this you can buy about $30.Takes a good day if you don't have any big problems just small ones.the 4.0 takes bolts too don't know about 2.9.
I already know i have a problem, $30 is almost half of what the gasket kit costs, i think i'm just gonna tear into the thing and start replacing gaskets, i've been wanting to rebuild this motor for a while too, so this could be a good time for that.

IlovemybroncII

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Chev
For
Engine Size
350/2.9/2.9
hey eddie are you going to total rebuild reason why I ask is if you are planning of just doing top end you might want to think about it put all new on top end without doing the lower it will put pressure on the lower and it will go out if not a total rebuild I would just put the gaskets in untill you can do a total rebuild

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
oh it would be a total rebuild if i do a rebuild. BUT, i wanna swap in a 4.0L at some point, I THINK. my plans are to put 2 inch coils and a an add-a-leaf and then do a 2 inch body lift to run 31's or 32's....i wanna be able to drive this up to asheville in the summer to go fishing/camping, but be able to get around where i want. i dont think i need a 4.0L for that, a rebuilt 2.9 will be fine. but anyways, think i'll just do the gaskets right now, rebuild the 2.9 later and save the 4.0L to put in a ranger....i've always wanted a ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
2.9 doesn't require headbolts be changed every time. I'd do it anyway.
Incorrect.

The Cologne head bolts for both the 2.9 and 4.0 are single use.

And BTW, why do people persist in discussing head gaskets on 2.9 engines

I've NEVER seen one with a blown gasket.

They all have cracked heads.

But I've heard about one where some yahoo reused the headbolts and the gaskets failed :)

If it is the head gaskets NEVER buy another lottery ticket as long
as you live, because it'd be a waste of money after you burn up
your good luck.

AD

AD

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
i've never bought a lottery ticket to begin with.....like the commercial says, you have a better chance of being mauled by a polar and a grizzly bear in the same day.

i hope it isnt a cracked head, that's gonna suck......i started taking everything apart tonight and i'm just gonna pull everything out til i find something is broken.

cckc135r

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 liters of German fury
Also something else to check would be bearings(when you get that far). With my 88 Ranger, it went from a rotted hole in a freeze plug from previous owners neglect, to a head gasket, to a cracked head, to all engine bearings wiped out. Couldn't really complain too much because I got the truck for $300. You might as well start searching craigslist or ebay to find another set of head. Try to find the 89TM heads or someone selling a set of World Products heads, much better design and not as prone to cracking.

PaleBlue90

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
2.3,2.9 and 4.0
Also something else to check would be bearings(when you get that far). With my 88 Ranger, it went from a rotted hole in a freeze plug from previous owners neglect, to a head gasket, to a cracked head, to all engine bearings wiped out. Couldn't really complain too much because I got the truck for $300. You might as well start searching craigslist or ebay to find another set of head. Try to find the 89TM heads or someone selling a set of World Products heads, much better design and not as prone to cracking.
+1 coolent loves to eat bearings. good luck on fixing it:icon_thumby::beer:

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
+1 coolent loves to eat bearings. good luck on fixing it:icon_thumby::beer:
gotcha, this stuff is new to me.....never redone an engine, i am mechanically inclined and i'm takin alot of pics as i tear stuff down, so i should be fine. i think i may just go ahead and rebuild this thing while i'm at it.

i got the intake manifold off last night (i've taken it off before) and i bought some ford blue heatproof paint....gonna paint the valve covers too.

thanks for the input, i'll post my findings and most def have some ?????'s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
i've never bought a lottery ticket to begin with.....like the commercial says, you have a better chance of being mauled by a polar and a grizzly bear in the same day.

i hope it isnt a cracked head, that's gonna suck......i started taking everything apart tonight and i'm just gonna pull everything out til i find something is broken.
BTW, when are looking for cracks in the 2.9 heads most people look in the combustion chambers... Including professionals who SHOULD know better...

2.9 heads don't crack inside the chamber, they crack at the bases of the
rocker shaft pedestals.

I had one crack around around the curve of the oval for the ford emblem...

many people have had their heads crack checke by a machinist who only checked the combustion chambers....

The engine was reassembled and it still leaked...

Oops...

AD

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
^
i'll keep that in mind....thanks allan

i got the left had valve cover off today but i gotta go finish a job, so the rest will have to wait for later. the heads are a b*tch to get off, i bent a socket extension already and they still aint off.

Shran

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Right now would be the perfect time to start a 4.0 swap. I would do that any day over fixing a 2.9.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
oh it would be a total rebuild if i do a rebuild. BUT, i wanna swap in a 4.0L at some point, I THINK. my plans are to put 2 inch coils and a an add-a-leaf and then do a 2 inch body lift to run 31's or 32's....i wanna be able to drive this up to asheville in the summer to go fishing/camping, but be able to get around where i want. i dont think i need a 4.0L for that, a rebuilt 2.9 will be fine. but anyways, think i'll just do the gaskets right now, rebuild the 2.9 later and save the 4.0L to put in a ranger....i've always wanted a ranger

^
read this shran....i've been debating a 4.0L over the 2.9L for a while now.....cant decide. it looks like it would cost about the same if i stuck with my original BII tranny and t-case, but i'd like to get an M5OD and manual shift 1356. if i did a 4.o swap, i'd buy an older exploder and use the D35 and it's entire drivetrain....decisions, decisions