•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Josh's Bronco II Body Restoration Thread

88B2EB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1994
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 2.3L
No big hurry on the emblems, PM me a price and I'll send you some $$ for them.
I put the emblems in the mail yesterday. It sounds like you can use them so they're yours. That's the end of it. They were the wrong options level for mine anyway so I was never going to use them.

88B2EB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1994
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 2.3L
Looks like a new truck!! And although I hate snow . . :) it looks good sitting out there in it, congrats
It's about time the snow has paid off in one way or another! Too many cold nights in the garage not being able to feel my fingers. It just got to that point though where it was so close I couldn't wait for warm weather.

I've made a few amateur mistakes here and there but overall I'm very happy with how it came out for it being my first time with bodywork. Couldn't have done it without you man!

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Thanks Bill. I heard about your head gasket issue. That's too bad. Hopefully your contacts at the shop class can get it sorted out. Those emblems are all packaged up, I just have to get to the post office.

Josh
I appreciate it, thank you. I'll get them put on as soon as I get the body panels replaced. Looks like they are just held on with adhesive so it shouldn't be too hard to install LOL.

88B2EB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1994
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 2.3L
Looks like they are just held on with adhesive so it shouldn't be too hard to install LOL.
3M makes a very inexpensive 'Plastic Emblem Adhesive' for them. It has the look and consistency of model car glue. Just stick them on and cover with tape to hold in place for about a half hour then you're good to go.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
3M makes a very inexpensive 'Plastic Emblem Adhesive' for them. It has the look and consistency of model car glue. Just stick them on and cover with tape to hold in place for about a half hour then you're good to go.
Thanks, figured that's what it was just an adhesive.

Update on the Head Gaskets. The kids in auto today already have it tore down, they cleaned up all the surfaces today, and will probably be putting the gaskets in tomorrow as well as doing the oil/filter change, new radiator coolant, new PCV valve. I have to give a lot of credit to these kids, they do a really damn good job, and they have done work for me previously on a couple of ATV's.

How do you like the push button 4x4 on the Bronco 2? I have the manual hubs manual t-case but the 93 ranger my grandfather had was push button with auto hubs and it held up pretty well considering how my cousin drove the thing for several years like a baja truck.

88B2EB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1994
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 2.3L
Thanks, figured that's what it was just an adhesive.

Update on the Head Gaskets. The kids in auto today already have it tore down, they cleaned up all the surfaces today, and will probably be putting the gaskets in tomorrow as well as doing the oil/filter change, new radiator coolant, new PCV valve. I have to give a lot of credit to these kids, they do a really damn good job, and they have done work for me previously on a couple of ATV's.

How do you like the push button 4x4 on the Bronco 2? I have the manual hubs manual t-case but the 93 ranger my grandfather had was push button with auto hubs and it held up pretty well considering how my cousin drove the thing for several years like a baja truck.
Wow those kids are fast! On the push button 4x4, it's a cool gadget but if I had the choice would probably go with manual. Just less parts that can break and thus a more dependable system.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Wow those kids are fast! On the push button 4x4, it's a cool gadget but if I had the choice would probably go with manual. Just less parts that can break and thus a more dependable system.
I think or I should say I'm pretty sure there's a few other's that worked on it through out the day since not all 5 of the ones I know are in the same class, I think between all 5 of them they worked pretty quick, I've never tore into the 2.8L for anything like head gaskets so I don't know how long it should take, but I'm glad its being done by these kids, and they already know that lunch is on me for a week after its done. Supposedly we can't give them money for their work, so I figured lunch would be cool considering the crap they get for lunches at school is worthless.

My new truck is the first one I've ever had with a front axle auto-disconnect, and a rotary knob to engage/disengage the 4WD. My 1988 F-250 was manual and the Bronco 2 is manual. I've never had any manual 4WD system ever fail. I've seen the electronic ones fail several times, so I was just wondering how your's has been for you.

Last edited:

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Well I got the Bronco 2 back from the school auto shop yesterday. Head gaskets are done. Then start driving down the road back to work and though geez the heater should be working by now, found an air bubble in the system, figured that would be the case, got that fixed, started the truck after work to head home and got about half way home and the heater core fails sending clouds of steam into the cab. So tomorrow I'm installing a heater core LOL.

I can say one thing about all this, I'm glad its an older vehicle, it just makes it a little easier to work on. I'm glad I'm finding all these problems now rather than out on a back road in the middle of no where though.

I can't wait to start restoring my B2, so many things to do not enough money it seems like all the time.

The Fonz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Awesome restoration, great finished product. Makes me want to go give my red eddie bauer some lovin! And its funny you saw that VW Bus, I have 3 and my one rocks quite often :D

Attachments

88B2EB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1994
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 2.3L
How's the rig comin?
The old Bronco II has been treating me well. I drove it all last summer then tucked it away in the garage for the winter and am back in the '94 until the salty roads clear up. Currently midway through replacing the body mounts along with new front frame-body brackets and am throwing in a 2" body lift while I'm there. When the carpet got pulled back to access the mounts I noticed some rust holes in the firewall so I'll likely be purchasing a MIG and learning that whole process. Here we go again.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the kind words Fonz. I've always thought those old VW's had a lot of character. Looks like you've got a lot of toys.:cool:

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Bummer about the rust! You gonna replace the floor board/firewall area or cut the rust out and patch the holes? It'd be a little more work but I'm sure you could get it done!

88B2EB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1994
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 2.3L
Bummer about the rust! You gonna replace the floor board/firewall area or cut the rust out and patch the holes? It'd be a little more work but I'm sure you could get it done!
Not sure. I've been working to get the new body mounts installed before moving on to the firewall. One thing at a time you know? If replacement firewall panels are available then I might have to think about that route. Much learning to be done on that front.

Josh

stickboy697

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Just stumbled across this thread, and I would like to say that I am impressed with your work! Great looking B2! Still plugging away at my 4.0/dash swap in mine but that is what toys are for right!

88B2EB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1994
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 2.3L
Just stumbled across this thread, and I would like to say that I am impressed with your work! Great looking B2! Still plugging away at my 4.0/dash swap in mine but that is what toys are for right!
Thanks! And yes that is what toys are for.:icon_thumby: I finished this build a year ago but it's still never finished, know what I mean? Hope you're enjoying swapping the engine/dash. From what I hear the 4.0 is a big improvement.

88B2EB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1994
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 2.3L
I had an interesting visit the other day. Going through the documents and records that came with the truck I kept seeing this name over and over. One time it had the address so I sent the guy a letter "If you had a Bronco II and think this one might have been your's I'd be interested to hear what you know about it". He stopped by just two days later and we probably talked for an hour and a half. It was great to hear where my old truck had been. Working on the Bronco over the past months finding evidence of 'good' repairs everywhere it's been obvious to me that somebody had really cared for it but having the actual guy that had done the work point out everything he'd done was eye opening. He owned it from 2000 to 2010. In that time he put in a rebuilt engine, restored the interior, and a whole list of other things. But it started getting rusty so he sold it to the person I would eventually buy it from. He also mentioned that before him it was owned by a fire department in North Carolina and apparently used for search and rescue. I promised to stop by when it's all finished. He only lives a few blocks away.:shok:
After getting Dennis's voicemail a couple times I finally got a call back from his wife "Dennis is dying. He's got a brain tumor and only has a few days to live. It would mean a lot to him if you would stop over with some pictures of the Bronco." I was all set to stop by when I got the dreaded call "He's taken a turn for the worst and may only have another day. It's probably best if you don't come." Dennis passed on February 19, 2014.

RIP Dennis. And thank you for all the care you put into our Bronco.

Last edited:

tidmarshsmiths5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l stock
Sorry to hear the fella passed!

That is an awesome restoration job though! Perfect!