•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

leak

tate22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 bronco ll
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
I have developed a water leak this winter with all the snow this winter. It is very small and I believe it coming from the gutter like tab of metal above the driver side door. Is there a permanent fix for this?

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Body sealer or silicone. You can get it at the parts store. These generally have a layer of body sealer in them (it's paintable), but over time it cracks, shrinks, etc and water gets in under it and causes rust, eventually leading to a leak.

Where are you seeing the water?

tate22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 bronco ll
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
I have a water stain on the headliner along the trim over the door. Of coarse we have been getting a bunch of rain the past few weeks. Attempted to load pics but wouldn't let me. The water stain stops at the visor. Should the old body filler be removed?

Beachbuggy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
I'd suggest pulling the windshield moldings and digging out all the old seam sealer from the gutter over the door and down into the w/s seam then replacing with a quality autobody seam sealer. That cured my leaking.

tate22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 bronco ll
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
I figured that was where the job was headed. Will do thanks.

Cees Klumper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II 2WD
An easy fix I found was Permatex flowable silicone, see other post on this. I applied this to my dried out and cracked seam filler above the doors, that were letting a LOT of water through and it soaked my passenger carpet every time it rained, and it's totally cured now. This avoids having to dig out all the old body sealer. Disadvantage may be that it looks like you can't paint over it, but then again it dries totally clear and invisible unless you get up real close. Took all of 5 minutes.