•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Liftgate hard to open

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I've been having issues with my liftgate not wanting to open since I bought the truck. The handle felt like it was slipping over it's catch and not releasing the latches. Tore into it yesterday evening and came up with a fix that works well.

I'm just wondering if this is a fairly common problem or if mine is an abuse case since it looked like the root cause was wear of the catch arm.

Boggin

Reaction score
the passenger side of mine doesnt always unlatch correctly, just the drivers side. so i just push on the hatch, turn the handle, and it pops open fine

Steeda04SVT

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Mine was doing that before the "t-handle" broke. With my new "t-handle" i also lubed up both latches on both ends of the lift gate. Worked great after that.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
my latches have been screwed up for over 10 years. i actually have a crack on the pass. side from where i shut it too hard one day. it's one of those things that i'm gonna fix as soon as i stop finding other things that need to be fixed

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
My interior fiberglass is all messed up. I think that one of these days I'm gonna get a lift glass gate and some hinges if I can find a good one.

For now it's just nice to be able to walk up to it and pop the gate instead of fussing with it for half and hour.