•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Lifting BII's For Cheap?

work_in_progress

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Ok, i am 15, building a 89 BII, i want about a 2-3 inch lift, besides the stuff on the tech pages, is there any secrets to cheap lifting?:icon_confused::icon_bounceblue:

8879ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Not really. Below I have listed 2 possible cheaper routes to go for 2"-3" of lift, or a combined total of 5" of lift. Honestly, I first installed a 2" body lift on mine when I was 17, and it worked great for me. I was able to run 31"x10.5" tires, which I still run today. Also, If you can find these parts at a junkyard, it could only be like $20 bucks or something. No matter which route you decide to go, I defiantly recommend getting a new steering stabilizer and a rag joint if you can find it.

A 2" lift can be done with coil spring spacers up front and blocks in the rear for the leaf springs for around $60 total for 2" lift.

A 2" or 3" body lift can also be had for around $150 new.

Or...you could forget about the lift and cut the fenders and bumpers. This would be the cheapest and possibly most effective because no matter how large the lift kit, the lowest point of the truck is at the differential, which is only determined by the tire height. By cutting the fenders, you can fit larger tires WHILE keeping your center of gravity low AND retain ALL original steering and suspension geometry.

Good Luck with your build!

Shran

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
The advice above is excellent and should be all you need for now.

A jigsaw, drill, tape measure, masking tape and self drilling screws are your cheapest option. Assuming you are OK with cutting up the body. If not then you will have to drop some cash on other pieces.

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
I lifted cheap (RC lift) before and ended up redoing it later.

My advise, do a small cheap body lift and the washer lift for now... save money to do a real lift. Either something like James Duff or piece one together like I did. To see what I did start my build thread about page 123 I think.. I have an awesome working TTB set-up, but it's not been cheap. I bought mostly used stuff to save money but with gears, lockers, steering, shocks, etc... I have money in it.

work_in_progress

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Thanks y'all, the advice helps a lot! I have no clue what to do, right now the car has no motor, so...