•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Looking for new exhaust for 86 B2 2.9

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Ok I have been going through many youtube videos and I believe I have decided that the muffler I am going to install is the Cherry Bomb Extreme. I am going to single in dual out the passenger side in front of the tire. My question is what is the size of the factory exhaust pipe out of the cat? I am trying to figure out what size muffler to buy. I am thinking I want to run 2.5" pipe out the muffler.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I think factory pipes are 2", and if you really have to split it after the muffler I wouldn't really do any bigger. Bigger pipes screw with the scavenging effect that that helps pull the exhaust gas along out of the pipes, more pipe with less flow isn't going to help with that.

If you want the look of big pipes at the end, get some tips.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/571594-exhaust-backpressure-the-myth/

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
well I could run a single in and single out and then before the tips run a Y pipe I just like the look of dual exhaust.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I had good results with the hearthrob dual system sold by LMC. It is a bit pricey, but the metal does hold up. My truck used to rust out Walker mufflers every 18 to 24 months. After 3 years on my truck that system had developed a patina but was not actually rusty.

6damions6customs6

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
i have a 88 b2 ive removed the cats an used a 2.5 pipe after a cherry bomb myself i tried the exit b4 tire an the truck ran like crap!! the lack of pipe left me with no back presser for power. running a full tail pipe at 2.5 i have amazing power an the sound is crazy everyone thinks i have a v8 b4 i pop the hood! also have many other supporting mods to give that affect tho lol

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
you think the reason you didnt have any back pressure is because of the 2.5 inch pipe?

Beachbuggy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
I think factory pipes are 2", and if you really have to split it after the muffler I wouldn't really do any bigger. Bigger pipes screw with the scavenging effect that that helps pull the exhaust gas along out of the pipes, more pipe with less flow isn't going to help with that.

If you want the look of big pipes at the end, get some tips.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/571594-exhaust-backpressure-the-myth/
+1- and for what it's worth, my B2 came with a butchered together, gutted cat and dual exhaust. I picked up power when I swapped the cat back in and installed a walker turbo flow system (for a ranger, but it was cheap and fit with very little tweaking)

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
i have a 88 b2 ive removed the cats an used a 2.5 pipe after a cherry bomb myself i tried the exit b4 tire an the truck ran like crap!! the lack of pipe left me with no back presser for power. running a full tail pipe at 2.5 i have amazing power an the sound is crazy everyone thinks i have a v8 b4 i pop the hood! also have many other supporting mods to give that affect tho lol
So where do you get your B2 inspected?

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
So where do you get your B2 inspected?
I know this is question is not directed to me but one of the great things about SC is there are no vehicle inspections. Probably why we have a lot of junk on the roads here :annoyed:

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Yeah, but the farther south you go the less important it gets. Some of PA's safety inspection rules are ridiculous and clearly written by people who like to write rules for the heck of it. Most of our stuff is looking for things breaking from rust.

I agree that the brakes need to work, the brake lights should probably work, and the tires and brake pads have to have so much life left, I'm ok with those.

Things like "the parking brake has to work" I think are a little silly. It is a great rule on paper, until you get in and out of cars all day and realize that 90% of people don't use it anyway and the ones that do bring the car in to get fixed right away if it doesn't work.

Same with seatbelts. State says they have to work. OK, great on paper, but the people who don't use them, well it doesn't matter if they work or not, and the people who do use them are in the shop to get it fixed right away when they don't.