•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Lost all my oil on 2 seconds - like an oil bomb went off

arineod

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II 4x4
Engine Size
2.9L
I was driving down the road and noticed some smoke, engine started sound like crap, shut her down and towed back tot he house. No oil in the engine. Added oil, started it up and it looked like an oil bomb went off under the hood and all the oil was on the ground. I had previously ran the truck, no changes made to it. It just exploded!

I can't tell where the heck it is coming from because it is everywhere and came out so fast. What problem would force oil out that fast? Could it be a freeze plug or something on the block? But no coolant leaking...

fordtrucknut77

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
my bet goes for a large hole in the oil pan or a large hole in the side of the block! i have seen motors sling rods before at low rpms that would still run

I know a guy that had a heep cherokee that blew a hole in the top of the vavle cover and through the hood and he drove it another couple years, as far as i know he never did figure out what caused the hole

arineod

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II 4x4
Engine Size
2.9L
I'm guessing maybe in the side of the block, will have to look hard. oil pan looks good. Almost appears that most of the oild is coming from the passenger side of the engine.

fordtrucknut77

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
either way i wouldnt look to hard until i pulled the motor to install the new one!

arineod

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II 4x4
Engine Size
2.9L
Yeah, I guess either way I will have to pull the motor because I'm guessing it will have to be replaced. can't even turn it on without it shooting out all the oil in 3 seconds. crazy

86oilburner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l turbo diesel
did you have the oil changed recently because if they left the old o ring on the filter it will blow out and you will loose all the oil pretty fast

kunar

Odd One
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
did you have the oil changed recently because if they left the old o ring on the filter it will blow out and you will loose all the oil pretty fast
yeah i would check the oil filter and o-ring.

86oilburner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l turbo diesel
is the oil filter on the pass side on that tho?

arineod

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II 4x4
Engine Size
2.9L
Good idea, I will do that tomorrow. Old o-ring? You talking about the rubber ring that comes on the oil filter, right? I replaced the oild filter a few days back, it looked pretty damn new but I didn't stop to look if the o-ring maybe was missing. Drove it around the neighborhood and did some errands for a few days and not a drop came out. Who knows though. Can't hurt to check it.

Last edited:

Explosive

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
As said, check to see if the filter got double gasketed. Seen that one before, makes a big mess quick.

loneranger48

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L of FUry!
i have used fram oil filters for 3 years now on a variety of vehicles ranging from 77 novas to 2wd toyotas to hondas and rangers and have never had a problem but i would call fram and complain and maybe get some free stuff out of the deal for the time,money and effort they caused you lol

kunar

Odd One
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
glad you figured it out...

also, fram=junk. but you already knew that.

arineod

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II 4x4
Engine Size
2.9L
Well, figured that part out. Now it seems that the oil pan is leaking or something else from that area, not the oil filter. Drove it for a while, seemed like the oil gauge went 3/4 and then dropped tro 1/4 and oil started to leak from somewhere else. Maybe the compression got so high it needed to find a way out? Hell, I don't know. Seems to run fine otherwise.

I will have to get it looked at to track down the new leak and possible cause if it is something else that will keep causing a leak. Very frustrating. This leak looks like it is near the oil filter and the oil runs down the oil pan rear edge along the bolts edge/lip of oil pan are and then drips down.

I will look at the gasket between the oil pump and the block. To get to that, how do I go about it? do I have to completely remove the oil pan and if so, looks like a huge pain in the arse! Do you have to lift the engine up a bit for that?

Thanks guys

Last edited:

Shran

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Well, figured that part out. Now it seems that the oil pan is leaking or something else from that area, not the oil filter. Drove it for a while, seemed like the oil gauge went 3/4 and then dropped tro 1/4 and oil started to leak from somewhere else. Maybe the compression got so high it needed to find a way out? Hell, I don't know. Seems to run fine otherwise.

I will have to get it looked at to track down the new leak and possible cause if it is something else that will keep causing a leak. Very frustrating. This leak looks like it is near the oil filter and the oil runs down the oil pan rear edge along the bolts edge/lip of oil pan are and then drips down.

I will look at the gasket between the oil pump and the block. To get to that, how do I go about it? do I have to completely remove the oil pan and if so, looks like a huge pain in the arse! Do you have to lift the engine up a bit for that?

Thanks guys
The oil pump is inside the pan and it probably isn't your problem. I would look at either valve cover gaskets or oil pan gasket.

Is it the stock oil gauge that you're looking at? If so those are for oil pressure, not oil level....and they are never accurate. I don't really know why they even bothered putting them in there.