•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

lowering kit help... 88 bronco 2

osolow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
I found a djm kit for my bronco2 but is for the 89-97 rangers

Can I make this kit work on my 88....just want to slam the b2 and I can get the kit for super cheap and comes with everthing I need! If I can get it to work!

88 bronco 2 2wd 2.9l engine

Andres629

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/91
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 screamer
Should be pretty much a bolt in affair. I swapped in 93 Explorer front axle into my 87 BII. A little different application, but it bolted right in.:icon_thumby:

osolow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Well there is a part number for the 83-88. And a diff part number for the 89-97. But the part numbers aren't but 1 number apart!!

The Mud Addict

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'85
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO
The biggest problem is that it will not bolt into the B2. The lowering kit is for an 2wheel drive Ranger. The TTB brackets ar different between 2 & 4 wheel drive. Put in brackets from a 2 wheel drive then it should work.....

But, then again everything I have ever owned has always gotten lifted:icon_rofl:

JoshT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
As The Mud Addict stated you will need to swap out the BIIs axle pivot brackets for those from a 2wd Ranger. The 2wd BIIs have a lift compared to a 2wd Ranger and part of that comes from the pivot brackets being taller. Even with the brackets those still won't be a bolt in swap. The beams you are looking at are for an 89+ which had a much different spindle setup than a 83-88. In order to swap those in you will also need to find a set of spindles and brake calipers for a 89-97 Ranger. I'd actually recommend if you go with these beams to find spindles from a 95-97 because those also came with dual piston calipers which are a great upgrade over your stock single pistons. If you decide to continue with these beams and do the brake upgrade look for spindles, calipers, and caliper brackets from a 95-97 Ranger, IIRC you'll also need 95-97 brake hoses. If you don't want to have to swap out your spindles and brakes then hold out for a set of 83-88 drop beams.

osolow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Well thanks for all the info ...ill go by my local pick a part and see what the price is...and the axle pivot brackets ...are they bolted on or welded?

ZMan

TOTM Coordinator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Ford,Jeep
Engine Size
4.0l,3.0l (soon to be 302),5.2l
They are riveted. And you will need more than the pivot brackets, you will need the whole engine crossmember from a 2wd ranger, which is welded andriveted, and you will have to take your engine out. If you're serious about lowering your bronco 2 you are best off getting an 89+ 2wd ranger parts truck, then you'll have the knuckles and everything to go with the cheaper 89+ drop beams.

osolow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
well then any idea if the 2wd ranger parts will give me more of a drop?
If its going to be close to the same should I just go and get the lowering kit for the 83-88 bronco 2 The kit im looking at comes with new shocks and everything but from the sounds of it all im better off going with kit for my truck/b2 .... im not ready to pull the engine and all that till we do the yota front clip and do a full frame build and have it laying rockers !

ZMan

TOTM Coordinator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Ford,Jeep
Engine Size
4.0l,3.0l (soon to be 302),5.2l
I didnt know there as lowering kits available for the b2. Who sells it? Ranger parts will not bolt on, bronco 2s have their own ibeams for 2wd because they ALL have 4x4 engine crossmembers, along with dummy transfer cases on the back of the transmission, so converting them to 4x4 is extremely easy.

osolow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Well now that I'm looking it up I'm coming up with all shit for the ranger.....this sucks...my plans are shot for a half way easy lowering kit.... Might just try and get an wxt cab ranger and go the easy way out lol!

svtcards

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco ii
Suspension Style
2WD
well then any idea if the 2wd ranger parts will give me more of a drop?
If its going to be close to the same should I just go and get the lowering kit for the 83-88 bronco 2 The kit im looking at comes with new shocks and everything but from the sounds of it all im better off going with kit for my truck/b2 .... im not ready to pull the engine and all that till we do the yota front clip and do a full frame build and have it laying rockers !
I know old thread.But does someone make a lowering kit for a bronco ii? I found hangers for the back that ll give me 2" like to go 2 more. wasn't sure if ranger shackles would work on the last 2"s.And I was told already a flip kit won't work on a bronco ii. And also not sure if ranger front springs will work on Bronco ii spring buckets.because I have 3" drop springs for a ranger already to try.