•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

m50d drive shaft issues

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Vehicle
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
ok i got the m50d tranny in my 87 b2, but the front shaft is too short and the rear is too long, by about 3 in or so. stock 7.5 rear and dana 28 up front.

anyone know if the explorer/ranger etc. shafts fit? or should i just go to my driveshaft shop and get them reworked?

2ranger87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
The front driveshaft can come from a BII/Ranger 86-87 automatic only, OR any 88-90 with the 1350 slip yoke t/case.

Rear shaft HAS to come from a BII with either an A4LD or FM146.

If you have a choice, I would stay away from the c/v style shaft that was commonly used and either buy an aftermarket one that uses u/joints, or have a longer one shortened/balanced.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
I have a CV (rapezza) style shaft mentioned above I will sell ya.

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Vehicle
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
I have a CV (rapezza) style shaft mentioned above I will sell ya.
thanks but i'm looking to get her running quickly. so i'll have to hit a junk yard first.

soon the 8.8 swap and dana 35 will be in process. when it does, i'll build some beefier shafts.

thanks for the imput!

engdept

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
The front driveshaft can come from a BII/Ranger 86-87 automatic only, OR any 88-90 with the 1350 slip yoke t/case.
Negative. The front driveshaft can also come from a manual transmission AS LONG as the manual transmission is a FM-146.

Sounds to me like you had the FM-145 transmission in it before. They were about 1.5" shorter than the A4LD, FM-146, and M50D.

Depending on if you have a flange or u-joint cups on your transfer case, I have access to a double double cardon driveshaft that just needs to be installed. It has the cardon joint at each end. The end that goes to the transfer case is a u-joint and not a flange.

2ranger87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford

Rear shaft HAS to come from a BII with either an A4LD or FM146.

If you have a choice, I would stay away from the c/v style shaft that was commonly used and either buy an aftermarket one that uses u/joints, or have a longer one shortened/balanced.
Negative. The front driveshaft can also come from a manual transmission AS LONG as the manual transmission is a FM-146.

Sounds to me like you had the FM-145 transmission in it before. They were about 1.5" shorter than the A4LD, FM-146, and M50D.

Depending on if you have a flange or u-joint cups on your transfer case, I have access to a double double cardon driveshaft that just needs to be installed. It has the cardon joint at each end. The end that goes to the transfer case is a u-joint and not a flange.
Ummm.........

engdept....did you even read my post????

It was quite specific to INCLUDE the FM146 which, was factory installed in the 88+ model years.

Anything earlier than that, only the A4LD trans would work.

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Vehicle
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed

ohh and i had the tk5 in before, unless the bottom pan looks the same on the tk5 and the 145?

either way, i'm going to the junk yard to check things out. hope i find something

2ranger87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
ohh and i had the tk5 in before, unless the bottom pan looks the same on the tk5 and the 145?

either way, i'm going to the junk yard to check things out. hope i find something
The TK5 has a rectangular finned aluminum pan, the FM145 has a square-ish steel pan with a drain plug in the center.

Regardless...they are essentially the same length.

I doubt you will have any problems finding shafts at the j/yards. They seem to be alot more common than trying to find shafts for the FM145/TK5's (at least in my area) I can't remember when the last time I had actually seen an RBV in a scrapyard around here that had an FM145, and it's been years since I last saw a TK5.

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Vehicle
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
yep, i def had the tk5. used the pics in the tech library. but either way, my junk yard had to rbv, and neither one had the tranny in it, nor do they label the shafts well enough. but luckily the local machine shop is heavy into 4x4's so i'm getting the work done there.

thanks guy, ya helped out alot, even tho im getting mine shorten/lengthened.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Yeah, it's not expensive to have an existing driveshaft shortened and balanced.

Do pay attention to driveline angles. It matters quite a lot for Bronco IIs.

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Vehicle
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
i spoke with the driveshaft shop, and they said they would even cut me a deal because i know some ppl. but my slip yoke splines are almost shot, and i told them while they are at it to just put in new u joints and save me the agravation.

but then they called me back with my quote, over 400 bucks for the rear shaft and more than 250 for the front. it goes without saying, i'm not getting them done there. i'll keep looking in the junk yards

2ranger87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
i spoke with the driveshaft shop, and they said they would even cut me a deal because i know some ppl. but my slip yoke splines are almost shot, and i told them while they are at it to just put in new u joints and save me the agravation.

but then they called me back with my quote, over 400 bucks for the rear shaft and more than 250 for the front. it goes without saying, i'm not getting them done there. i'll keep looking in the junk yards
OUCH!!!!

Gold plated?????

Platinum?????

That price seems out to lunch.

I agree with MAKG....it does not cost THAT much to have a shaft shortened. If the splines are really that bad, just get another longer shaft (with a good slip yoke) and have it shortened. The front shaft should be a dime a dozen at a J/Y.

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Vehicle
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
ya i'm working on it monday, they were trying to give me the shaft on those shafts. lol. i'll hit a junk yard monday

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Vehicle
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
hey guys. sorry for bring up my dead thread. but the B2 tranny project came back to life.

i found a ext cab ranger with the fm146. so the front shaft should work with my B2 and m50d right? but the rear would be to long right?

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Reaction score
the front will work, but the rear will be too long. You are correct in your assumption.

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Vehicle
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
thank you sir!

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Vehicle
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
looks like im still on the prowl for a rear driveshaft..

anyone got one laying around?

might even be able to afford one other than stock?!?!?!

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Reaction score
I have a double cardon shaft, but it takes a yoke at the transfer case instead of the flange. I will take $30 + shipping for it. It came out of a Bronco II.

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Vehicle
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
ok how do i change from the flange to the yoke?