•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

M5OD Sloppy Shifter

1BadRS

Reaction score
I don't think I have ever felt so much extra play in a shifter assembly before. I can literally wiggle it around a good few inches with it in any gear.

Do they sell a kit or anything to make things tight again? If so, can somebody recommend a place to get it all at?

press 1 for english

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
jovibuilt hit it right on the head. Way too much play makes shifting challenging.

1BadRS

Reaction score
The transmission was rebuilt 2,000 miles ago but you would never know it going by how sloppy that shifter was.

Thank you for providing that link, I'm going to pick up that kit and hopefully it will firm everything up again.

You guys are always such a big help :icon_cheers:

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Mine is does the exact same thing.. what causes this to happen?

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Also how do you know what kind of transmission you have.. I just bought the truck a month ago its an 86 B2 but I have no clue what transmission to know what kit I need to buy :icon_confused:

Original_Ranger84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
With the 86 I would imagine you have a Mitsubishi FM145 or FM146 but there is the possibility of having the Mazda TK4 or TK5. They use a nylon ball on the end of the shifter.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
If you pull up your shifter turret you will see how it all works and what may be worn.

--weezl--

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Also how do you know what kind of transmission you have.. I just bought the truck a month ago its an 86 B2 but I have no clue what transmission to know what kit I need to buy :icon_confused:
ahh, sir, you must familiarize yourself with the tech library!

http://therangerstation.com/tech_library/index.php the answers to all of your questions can be found on that page, except the question that man has been asking for centuries! why are dogs noses cold?

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
The transmission was rebuilt 2,000 miles ago but you would never know it going by how sloppy that shifter was.

Thank you for providing that link, I'm going to pick up that kit and hopefully it will firm everything up again.

You guys are always such a big help :icon_cheers:
The forks can get worn out too if you run for too long with bad shifter bushings. I bought a used M5OD and it had the sloppy shifter. Went to replace the bushing set and found there weren't any in there. Put the set in and now it's not any better.

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
When I bought my ranger the shifter was sloppy. I purchased a bushing replacement set, it came with the forks. After I installed the replacement it I didn't have anymore slop in the shifter. If I remember correctly it was around $20.

Sent from road while ignoring traffic

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
When I bought my ranger the shifter was sloppy. I purchased a bushing replacement set, it came with the forks. After I installed the replacement it I didn't have anymore slop in the shifter. If I remember correctly it was around $20.

Yeah, but the forks are inside the trans and I'm not up to pulling another transmission at home quite this soon.

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Are you talking bout the pins in the shifter tower? Cause you can replace the bushings and those pins from inside the truck. Took me about an hour to do, and if your careful you can replace the trans fluid while your at it.