•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

M5OD Swap Starter Question

1BadRS

Reaction score
On my 84 I have a solinoid mounted on the fender and then just one wire that ran down to the starter. When I swapped in the M5OD trans with matching starter it has the big thick wire and then a spade connector. Right now I have the fender mounted solinoid hooked up and then just the big wire running down to the starter. I have nothing on the spade connector at the moment.

When I turn the key it just clicks but doesn't try to start the truck. Does that spade connector at the starter need to be hooked up as well? What wire do I want to tap into?

thanks

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Yes, you need the spade connector hooked up as well.

Get a double eyelet ended 4.5 foot battery cable. Run it from the large post on the starter to the SAME post as the battery and all your other little wires on the solenoid.

Then take a smaller piece of wire, run it from the spade to the other side of the fender solenoid where it should be all by itself. Then your truck will crank.

70roadrunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
plymouth
Engine Size
or just jumper from the large lug to the spade on the starter. does the same thing, just have 2 solenoids in the line

1BadRS

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I did what adsm08 recommended and it worked like a charm. Getting closer to actually trying to start this thing up. Thanks again for the help.

snoranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
All 10 are Ford
Engine Size
4.0,5.0,4BT,4.0
or just jumper from the large lug to the spade on the starter. does the same thing, just have 2 solenoids in the line
No, it does not do the same thing.

Doing the way you said will allow the starter to keep spinning for a second or two after you release the key. This can cause long term damage to the starter or ring gear. There are quite a few posts on here of people saying they tried it your way and want to know how to fix it. The way adsm said is the correct way to do it.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Yeah, I've done that. If it was an emergency and that made the difference between getting home with the truck or walking, I'd do it. It is annoying, and as Sno pointed out, bad for the starter and ring gear.