•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

metal shaveings and noise

PaleBlue90

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
2.3,2.9 and 4.0
so ive had this slight grinding noise from my front end. i recently swapped my pos auto hubs for some warn's. after that i heard this light grinding noise. i repacked my wheel bearings 2 times and its gone away but has come back within a couple days. well tonight i got pissed at it and pulled the wheels and looked everything over. its good. repacked wheel bearings and it went away....for 15 mins. checked the diff fluid and found metal shaveings......has my TTB D35 toast? whats easyer, SAS or sawp another TTB?:icon_welder::annoyed:

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Metal shavings in your diff fluid?

You just changed hubs....not sure, but did you put the splined washer and c-clip back on the end of the stub shaft? I know some places tell you, you don't have to put them back on, when really it's best that you do. The shaft could have possibly slipped out far enough allowing the splines not to engage fully, resulting in the shavings. That's only if there is enough shaft play to allow this though.

That's the only thing I can think of that would result from the hub change.

Possibly pull the D-side shaft and check the splines that go into the diff. :icon_confused:

BlackBII

Cheaf of Grammor Poleace
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Yeah metal shavings in the diff fluid...

Pull the pig and check it out.