•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

My 1990 B2 intro

Catterman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9V6
Long story short I have always loved the B2's, always wanted to own one and when we lived in AK 10 years ago I had a 1989 B2 and we had a love/hate relationship... Sold it before moving down to the lower 48 and now I have a rust free 1990. Bought it in AZ with the intention of moving it up here to MN/ND and fix up a little before selling, or if the wifey really approves I will keep it and sell off a different car.

So, my questions are...

Now that I got this thing what are some of the first things I need to do to it and check out on it? It will need a new headliner, and some interior trim is missing.

how can I tell what trim it is? The seats are not origional and miss-matched, some are EB and some are XLT.

It seems to have a newer fuel pump (hole cut in the back floor to access it) but it isn't the best starter, sometime it takes 3 tries before it will fire. Is this common?

It has an oil smell to it, not very strong and more noticable on short drives.

Like most vehicles, is ebay the best place to get parts?

Finally, it seems to be lacking some power. It won't hold Overdrive while going 65, and tops out around 70-75. Could it just be the big tires or is there anything else I can check? Engine runs nice and smooth ones it is running. It does have a glasspack on it right now that I will remove and put on a regular muffler. I am in my mid 30's and don't like the noise.

Attachments

jhammel85

On here ignoring work
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
So, my questions are...

Now that I got this thing what are some of the first things I need to do to it and check out on it? It will need a new headliner, and some interior trim is missing.

how can I tell what trim it is? The seats are not origional and miss-matched, some are EB and some are XLT. Try doing a few free Vin Code readers offline. If you absolutely have to (or you are just curious anyway) get a carfax

It seems to have a newer fuel pump (hole cut in the back floor to access it) but it isn't the best starter, sometime it takes 3 tries before it will fire. Is this common? Does it just turn over and turn over with no luck or is it clicking and not doing anything?

It has an oil smell to it, not very strong and more noticeable on short drives.
Probably the valve covers. Nothing like the burnt smell of oil off of a 2.9, lol...I don't think I've met one yet that hasn't smelled like burnt oil. Changing the valve covers and any other leak should fix this

Like most vehicles, is ebay the best place to get parts? I've never really used Ebay because Rockauto is, handsdown, the best online retailer for parts. I think we get a discount because they are sponsors of TRS. Check the vendor category here on the forums.

Finally, it seems to be lacking some power. It won't hold Overdrive while going 65, and tops out around 70-75. Could it just be the big tires or is there anything else I can check? Engine runs nice and smooth ones it is running. It does have a glasspack on it right now that I will remove and put on a regular muffler. I am in my mid 30's and don't like the noise.
hard to say but it sounds like the tires have just thrown off the speedo. Use a GPS, smartphone or Look for a calculator online. There might be one here on the forums..I'll try looking to see what I used for my truck.

BlackBII

Cheaf of Grammor Poleace
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
If it takes 3 tries before it fires, you may be losing pressure back down the return line. If you turn your key On and back Off 3 times(not start, just run), to let the pump prime 3 times, does it start on the first try?

Those look like 35" tires, do you know what gearing is in your axles?

richard booth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.9 for now.
How many miles are on it? Check the torque on the intake, do the valve cover gaskets and steam clean it so any leaks are easy to spot. Having the injectors done at a reputable injector place always improves performance. I always wait like 5 seconds w/ key in run position to let fuel pressure build before trying to start mine, if you just immediately turn key it tends to not start first turn on any older rig. I get parts at JC Whitney (free shipping and lowest price guarantee) , Rock Auto which has a massive inventory and Jeffs bronco graveyard also has excellent prices on some stuff. As far as which trin you just have to hunt the junk yards and get what you like as far as I am concerned. Seats from 1st gen explorers bolt to the B2 frame.

RSM

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I think I remember seeing that on Craigslist before. You probably have the same issue I have....tires are too tall for the gearing. I installed a new set of 31x10.50's and i have the same issue on the highway. I plan on swapping to 4.10's to solve that issue. If you have tires any bigger than that, it's an issue. There were 235/75 x 15 all terrains on it before and the gearing was perfect with those and it would climb like a goat. Headliners will be next to impossible to find in really good shape and i haven't seen anyone selling new ones. Craigslist, Ebay or any BII forum would be good for parts.When you say it takes 3 times for it start, do you mean the starter kicks out while trying to start? If so you need to replace it. Quiet mufflers are nice lol.

Catterman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9V6
hard to say but it sounds like the tires have just thrown off the speedo. Use a GPS, smartphone or Look for a calculator online. There might be one here on the forums..I'll try looking to see what I used for my truck.
Sorry for not getting back to everyone sooner, was on vacation :headbang:

Yup, seems I am always 11% off on my speedo readings. I will try this week to take it on the interstate and see how fast she will go.

As for starting, it will turn over just fine and (the starter even looks almost brand new) and the fuel pump seems to have been replaced lately too (as there is a hole cut under the carpet in the back to access it. I will do the trick of leaving it "on" before starting and let you know how it turns out.

I have no idea what the gearing is on it. Is there a way to check? Yes, the tires are 35" :icon_thumby: So it looks cool anyway.

I haven't spent much time under the hood, but can tell a lot of work was done there. I will try and snap a pict of it as well. Speedo shows 66,000 on it, but I am sure it is 166,000. I will be sure to clean the valve cover gaskets and make sure they are on tight.

R.B., when you say check the torque on the intake, do you know what they should be at?

Next I am going to put some Seafoam through the brake booster line and see if it just cleans up some gunk. Is there an easy way to tell if I need new injectors? Or is that more of a maintenance item?

Thanks guys for the welcome and help! I like it here! :icon_bounceblue: :yahoo: