•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

My Bronco II is beyond slow, whats wrong?

Jixxer6

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Just picked up my 88 BroncoII with an a4ld and I like the truck but it has no guts. It almost didnt want to go up the ramp to get into the gas station. I would almost think its a trans problem but it seams to shift ok. Takes for ever for it to take off from a light. I pulled the trans dipstick when I was at the gas station and the whole trans tube fell out of the trans. That was a blast to put back in while it was raining at the gas station. I checked the fluid level and it apears to be ok. A little brown but not scorched. Is there something else I should be looking for?

Hahnsb2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Vehicle
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
It's a 2.9 auto in a 3500LB box, it's slow. I've driven 2.9 5 speed and 2.9 auto B2s and the 5 speed is a lot quicker.

kemicalburns

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
was the bronco running when you checked the fluid? i would service the tranny if it hasnt been done in awhile. you might also pull codes, do a tune up etc..

just curious does it sound like an air plan under your hood when the vehicle is running. a bad fan clutch can rob power from that little motor easily and is a fast fix.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
When you step on the gas, does the engine rev up freely? If it revs right up but doesn't move very much it's a slipping trans. If it just doesn't rev up a whole lot, it's an engine problem.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
clogged cats will cause this too. Have you run anything through it like Seafoam or the like? Also gummed up injectors will really screw with your acceleration. When they get clogged it drips fuel instead of spraying which idles fine but bogs when flooded..

Jixxer6

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I pulled the trans pan and the fluid was a lot more nasty that I had thought. It smelled burnt. I bolted down the dipstick tube so I could get an accurate reading. Added the proper amount of trans fluid. Then I drove it through the parking lot at work. It has some pickup now. Not much mind you but it goes when I hit the gas. The gas pedal feals like it is sticking a little still. I will look into that another time. I noticed it has what looks like some very old motorcraft plugs in it. I didnt have time to pull them yet but I think it would be a good idea to change them. Also the speedo is not working. I pulled the cluster and the speedo cable wasnt even attached. The plastic retainer was broken. I tried turning one end of the speedo cable to see if the other end would move, it didnt. So I got another cable from napa. The cable off my truck has a sensor on the end of it while the napa one did not. I tried puting the napa one in the trans and it does not fit. I called up napa and they told me that was there only listing and the other ones they had also had no sensor. Any ideas?

short bus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
yeah, dont get your parts at napa!Sounds like you might need to sevice or replace the tranny those are not the best trannies to have.That said though my stock 87 came with 4 10 gears and even with 200000 miles it still will spin the 30/9.5 tires that are on there

Jixxer6

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Its moving a lot better now that I changed the trans fluid and filled it properly, we shall see for how long. I told napa I needed a 91 explorer speedo cable instead. Bingo, got the right one. Have a working speedo now. Pulled the one of the plugs to change them and it looked new. Had rust on the outside, but the electrode looked new on the inside, asided frome a little discoloration from being in a combustion chamber. I checked it with the napa plug, yup they gave me the wrong plug anyway. Happy with my truck so far!

Jixxer6

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Trans is cooked, went to pull it up on to my car trailer and it barely made it. After I got it back down it would barely move. I have rebuilt an a4ld in a 90 mustang before, so I think I will try my luck again with this one. Kit only costs a little over 100 bucks and the trans realy isnt that complicated so I think its the best route for me to go.