•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Need a lesson in Lockers for my 86 B2

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Ok well I just finished getting a lesson about the axles and differentials of my B2 and now instead of asking a question that I will word all backwards with the wrong terminlogoy and confuse everyone can you guys help explain lockers to me. I know there are mechanical locking, air locking, and i believe electrical locking lockers. Also tips on installation would be good. I am somewhat capable mechanic and curious to know the difficultly of installing lockers in the front and rear. Thanks guys for yalls help!

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
oh man, where to start......

well, you're right there's mechanical, air and eletric lockers. there's ups and downs to all of them.

an air locker is nice because it's a true open diff while not engaged. good for street driving. they also replace the carrier, so they're pretty stout. down side, very pricy, you have to also buy a air compressor and run air lines to the axles. these air lines can break or leak leaving you with a giant paper weight in your diff.

for the most part, the same set of pros and cons go with an electric locker.

mechanical lockers either repalce the carrier or fit inside the carrier. the ones that fit inside the carrier are called lunchbox lockers and just replace the spider gears. they arent as strong as a locker than would replace the carrier, but they can get the job done. lots of folks on here run them without any issues, i'll be installing one in the rear of my b2. another downside to the lunchbox locker is that they tend to rattle a lot.

i really just brushed the surface here. i'd get on the interwebs and start reading off road magazines if you want to really learn about them

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
BIGGER
you can go to most locker sights and view videos of how the products work and this usually goes a ways towards clearing up any ideas or questions.

if you have stock axles a lunch box out back is a great way to go if you live where it snows and use 4x4 on the road sometimes..

its the most cost effective approach for a vehicle that is driven on the street.

if you dont need 4x4 on hard surfaces then lunchbox front and rear really makes for some cost effective traction.

its all in what your goals are as far as use/power/tire size are concerned to what you will benefit from the most.

i do not suggest locking a dana 28 front axle at all. weld the joints and run it till its done if you have 31 in or bigger tires....then swap a d35.

Last edited:

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Go to youtube and look up "how a differential works". Lots of videos for you to watch and learn from.

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Yeah that was another question if the dana 28 was worth getting lockers. My B2 is all stock now and im working to turn it into a trail rider. Nothing too serious just a way to enjoy the outdoors. Im probably gonna run 33's with a 4 inch lift nothing i couldnt drive down the road if i needed to.

Now with the mechanical locking lockers. They lock when your pushing or pulling tires begins to spin right? And unlock when you stop? I am looking for something cost effective and still allow me to drive the B2 on the highway with no issue.

Thanks for all yalls input!

scooter

October OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Detroit.
/thread.

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Yeah that was another question if the dana 28 was worth getting lockers. My B2 is all stock now and im working to turn it into a trail rider. Nothing too serious just a way to enjoy the outdoors. Im probably gonna run 33's with a 4 inch lift nothing i couldnt drive down the road if i needed to.

Now with the mechanical locking lockers. They lock when your pushing or pulling tires begins to spin right? And unlock when you stop? I am looking for something cost effective and still allow me to drive the B2 on the highway with no issue.

Thanks for all yalls input!
When a pre-determined amount of torque is applied to the locker, it will lock and act as a spool. When going around a turn where the gears are going different speeds, it will unlock.

This is an Aussie "lunchbox" locker that I put in my truck.

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
A cheap way of utilizing your d-28 until you get a d-35 is to make it into a limited slip. You can add an extra side gear washer, ~$1.00, and gear oil, ~$35.00, and have a lsd that will help in off-road situations. I did this in my b-II. There is the possibility that the extra pressure will grenade the spiders and it doesn't last forever, but it's cheap.

Richard

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
X2

They are strong, reliable, and if needed can be rebuilt.

but cost a lot more than an Aussie... they are worth the extra money, no questions asked... but still. some people can't come up with the extra money.

personally, I have Aussie front and rear with explorer axles.

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
but cost a lot more than an Aussie... they are worth the extra money, no questions asked... but still. some people can't come up with the extra money.
Good parts cost more

Edit: typically they do

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Well i guess naturally the next question is where are some good places to buy lockers. I have seen them for sale about $400 each but they werent brands that you guys have been naming out.

Jraymer360

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Well i guess naturally the next question is where are some good places to buy lockers. I have seen them for sale about $400 each but they werent brands that you guys have been naming out.
they aren't talking about brands, they're talking about types of lockers.

say detroit locker is a 4 door truck where as an aussie is a standard cab and a electric locker is an extended cab.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/?Ns=ProductLine|Asc&keyword=locker&rsview=ProductName

try that!

Last edited:

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
drivetrainwarehouse.com is by far the easiest to get along with as far as customer service. Their differential techs are great guys. Also, ringpinion.com is a great place to shop for differential parts.

scooter

October OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
they aren't talking about brands, they're talking about types of lockers.

say detroit locker is a 4 door truck where as an aussie is a standard cab and a electric locker is an extended cab.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/?Ns=ProductLine|Asc&keyword=locker&rsview=ProductName

try that!
Uhhhhhhh Detroit is a sister company of Eaton...... Just saying.

Google/ebay: "detroit dana 28"

FYI e-lockers S U C K and really dont "lock". Your better off getting a Detroit Tru track. Its cheaper than a e-locker and is way more reliable.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
So is there an agreement here that if I want to run 33 inch tires that I will have to upgrade my front and rear to the dana 35 ( I think it is ) that comes in the explorers?

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
An Aussie will probably be more than he ever needs. Remember he's not building on 37's and rock bouncing it.
I chose an Aussie bc of price and their reliability speaks. Many people with rigs beat on a lot more than mine ever will be have them with zero issues. A lunchbox locker ain't bad on a DD either. I don't even notice mine.

Once again, I've never said the Detroit wasn't worth the difference; just for some people the cheaper Aussie works perfectly and saves you money for that Warn winch you want.

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
So is there an agreement here that if I want to run 33 inch tires that I will have to upgrade my front and rear to the dana 35 ( I think it is ) that comes in the explorers?
Have to? Maybe not....
Is it the better option, YES.
If you regear or get a locker, do it right with the stronger diff. Don't waste money on the d28

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Ok sounds good all this is going to be a Christmas break project while I am out of college for that month so hopefully I can get $500- 600 together by then because on craigslist there are a few 92-95 explorers that are 4x4 going for cheap. Heck one of them has a 302 in it :icon_thumby: that would be a big upgrade from my 2.9!

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Be careful with that 302 explorer.... Unless it's been swapped in after factory; it won't have the front axle you want.

95 explorers have true IFS not TTB