•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Need a lesson in Lockers for my 86 B2

scooter

October OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
I had a mini spool in my rear on 37's and was no rock bouncer and broke a pin in the mini,twice,,,,,,,,, and finally broke the carrier. Bought a full spool (replaces the whole carrier) no more trouble.

IMHO replace the whole carrier if you can afford it. If not by all means run a locker, the BEST one you can afford.
ANY locker is better than a open diff.
Good luck with whatever you choose.

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
I had a mini spool in my rear on 37's and was no rock bouncer and broke a pin in the mini,twice,,,,,,,,, and finally broke the carrier. Bought a full spool (replaces the whole carrier) no more trouble.

IMHO replace the whole carrier if you can afford it. If not by all means run a locker, the BEST one you can afford.
ANY locker is better than a open diff.
Good luck with whatever you choose.
A mini spool is a FAR cry from a lunchbox locker, IMO. Now, granted, they both replace just the spider gears, BUT, the locker can unlock/lock when needed. I totally agree with you on replacing the complete carrier tho (IF you can spare the extra coin)

Flip4Ford

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I run a dana 35 and an 8.8 on my 94 explorer. I have done allot of hard trails in CO, SD, OK, AR, KS- I drive mine there and drive it back. If you are going with 33's you should regear to 4:56 ratio. I run detroit Power trax front and rear. Fairly easy to install and hold up well. And they are cheaper. My broncoII had the same set up. It was around $1000 for the total set up. (gears and lockers)

A spool or mini spool is the fine for offroad but isn't so great for highway use. A buddy of mine ran a spool in the rear of his BII had little problems but not many. BUT he towed it to the trails.

Upgrading to a Dana 35 front is pretty easy. The 8.8 rear is ridiculously easy. I would probably start with some type of rear locker and see how you like it-- then go from there.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
that is my plan what I am thinking about doing is I am going to run my 30 inch big horns with the b2 at factory height and i am going to take it to the off road park. Then Ill try it again with the new axles and 33's. Then Ill probably add a rear locker and go again and then add the front locker and go again. I know it sounds like a lot but I figure itll take me a few months in between each modification and the park is only 2 hours away. Plus I will most likely trailer mine back and forth just in case something breaks. Then I will have a better understanding of how much improvement each modification did.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Also another question is there a specific year range of explorers I need to use to make my axle and engine swap easier?

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
92-94 are ideal for the D35 TTB and 4.0L OHV drivetrain. You might even get lucky and find a 5 speed explorer (which is rare)

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Yeah id love to keep my 5 speed

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Now i just spent $350 redoing my b2's rotors bearings calipers brakes and brake lines... will that stuff transfer over or no?

Last edited:

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Now i just spent $350 redoing my b2's rotors bearings calipers brakes and brake lines... will that stuff transfer over or no?
front calipers will.
bearings, no.
rotors, don't think so...
brake lines should since calipers will...

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
the rotors wont transfer either. bearings are smaller on a d28.

i'd run the D28 till that stuff wears out or you blow it up

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Yeah i might have too now because i have a lot of money in my front end right now id hate to take off good parts

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
run it while you're building up a d35... with better steering, coils, gears, locker, so on..

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
:iamwithstupid: Extended radius arms w/ Johnny joints/heims, flexy coils, custom steering set up, longer shock mounts, etc....I could go on and on...

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
92-94 are ideal for the D35 TTB and 4.0L OHV drivetrain. You might even get lucky and find a 5 speed explorer (which is rare)
91-94 Explorers are all exactly the same.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
I have been searching online for information on the dana 35 and a lot of the information I am reading is talking about dana 35's on jeeps. Are jeep axles interchangeable with our B2's like the explorers?

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
yes they are interchangeable, with a grinder and a welder, you can put anything in anything.....but the jeep D35 is a rear axle and a piece of shit at that. i'd rather have the 7.5 you currently have back there than a D35. however, i have heard that lockers from a jeep 35 will fit in a TTB 35. not sure about carriers and bearings though.

the front axle from jeeps (dana 30) seems to be something that a lot of people are swapping in. i actually just put one in my b2.

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
just read on here for d35 ttb info... all you'll ever need is on TRS, trust me. plus it seems to be more reliable than the other RBV sites.. I read a lot of false info on ttb on RangerForum (not hating... just found some iffy info).

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
In comparison a jeep d30 is weaker than a ttb d35. And you will need a lot of money to make a d30 "good". A bronco d44 is the best bet however they are hard to find at junkyards. As mentioned above do some digging in the tech library, all the answers are there.

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
BIGGER
Uhhhhhhh Detroit is a sister company of Eaton...... Just saying.

Google/ebay: "detroit dana 28"

FYI e-lockers S U C K and really dont "lock". Your better off getting a Detroit Tru track. Its cheaper than a e-locker and is way more reliable.
what e locker are you referring too? the e locker needs some gentle engagement to seat the pins, but once seated its a spool. the elec-trac(sp?) i have heard of slippage. i look forward to an e locker for my front 60.

In comparison a jeep d30 is weaker than a ttb d35. And you will need a lot of money to make a d30 "good". A bronco d44 is the best bet however they are hard to find at junkyards. As mentioned above do some digging in the tech library, all the answers are there.

i find this incorrect...based on experience. higher powered d30 rigs over my hi powered d35 ranger in the same trails always left me the one fixing shit the most.

ultimately the d30 is a weak axle, but so is the d35 ttb ime. seems a matter which turd is smellier... the 27 spline shafts and side gears were killing me more then anything at the end...still tolerable though. i would not boot a d35 and replace it with a hp d30....but i would replace a d28 or convert a 2wd to 4x4 with a 30 on a reg use truck with 33-35 tires.

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I've heard of d30 working just fine so I'm not discounting it altogether. However in situations where you see more abuse (rock crawling) the baby finger d30 u-joint typically breaks, or an axle shaft. I've only had my hub shatter (I have stock ones).