•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Need battery advice for 86 B2

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
I believe I am in need of a new battery for my B2. It jumped it and charged it today so I will see if it is still charged tomorrow or not but I just had to put a new alternator in it because my winch burned up the old one. If it turns out to be bad are there any suggestions on an adequate replacement that will work well with the winch? I was looking at the walmart today and for a battery with 810 CCA and it was $95 but then i thought the CCA didn't affect the load it could handle. I would like to keep it reasonable $95 or less. My preferred battery would be that Optima battery from Advance but with a price tag of $209 its way out of my price range right now. THe winch is a 9000 lb Warn winch. Thanks everyone! I am wanting to get one tomorrow so I can take it out mudding tomorrow night.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Running a winch you should seriously consider installing a second battery with a battery isolator and moving your winch to run off the 2nd battery, or you will keep frying batteries and alternators. Doesn't matter what battery you get they aren't made to be drained like that, you need a deep cycle battery for that, yes its going to be initially expensive, but in the long run you will thank yourself for doing it the right way.

RonD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
^^^ I agree

There are thin plate batteries and there are thick plate batteries.
Thin plate batteries can quickly discharge high amps, like for a starter motor, but because of the thin plates they don't react well to long term drain, the plates end up shorting out, common symptom of shorted plates....battery drains itself if left overnight.

Thick plate batteries often called deep cycle batteries, can't discharge high amps quickly, they will turn a starter motor but not as fast as a thin plate, so on a cold day engine might not start.
The deep cycle batteries can be fully discharge without effecting the plates, and can deliver steady amps almost the whole time.

There is no cross breed, not physically possible, some claim it but when push comes to shove it's either a thin plate or thick plate, medium plate has the worst of both, lol.

So I would get a regular car battery(thin plate) and then save up to install a second battery(thick plate) and isolator.
Or switch to a PTO winch :)

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
So a deep cycle battery like a marine battery? Or do they make deep cycle batteries that aren't marine batteries? I am working on getting a 3 battery system but right now just don't have the funds or the room to install them anywhere.

brokemechanic3000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Mazda
Engine Size
3.0L
I would suggest going to an interstate battery store and asking them about reconditioned batteries, a lot cheaper than new and mine came with a warranty.
It has to be an actual interstate store not just any store that carries interstate batteries.

RonD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Yes, I like Interstate batteries as well.

Most Marine batteries are deep cycle , but "Marine battery" doesn't mean deep cycle, "marine" usually means it is sealed so no cap vents at all.
Boats usually have at least two batteries, both could be deep cycle and both would be used to start the engine on the boat, they use an A, B, A+B switch, A+B being both batteries for starting, doubling the cranking amps to car battery levels, then batteries are isolated, the batteries are usually over sized as well, so one battery could turn over the engine if the need arises.
You can do the same in a vehicle, use one over sized battery, deep cycle.

Trucks with campers, winches and snowplows, or cars/trucks with high watt sound systems, often use two batteries.
One would be a car battery the other a deep cycle, the deep cycle would be used for steady higher amp draws, like a winch or plow or when engine is not running, a simple relay/isolator, when ignition is turned on car battery is fresh and used to start engine, then both batteries are recharged.

Last edited:

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Ok that is what I will do then I checked the truck today and the battery is still holding a charge so I wont have to buy a battery and can work on getting another battery for the winch.

RonD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
You can test your battery just using a volt meter.
After driving it, so battery is recharge, test the battery's voltage, engine off key off,
12.6v-12.8v battery is good (100% of rated amps)
12.5v starting to go, look for battery sales for the next few months
12.4v start shopping this week (75% of rated amps)
12.2v will not start engine on cold day, maybe not even on warm day (50% of rated amps)

Now start engine, voltage at battery should be 13.6v to 14.5v, to maintain a battery's charge the alternator must send the battery at least 1 volt above its current voltage, to recharge the battery(after starting) 1.5v-2v is needed.

If all checks out let battery sits for a few hours, like overnight and before starting it check voltage again, if it has dropped more than .5v then battery is self draining, plates have a short, it may last you a week or two but drain will increase.

Last edited:

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
If you go with the 2 battery setup make absolutely sure you install a battery isolator, or you will end up destroying your primary cranking battery anyhow because during a heavy load such as running a winch, even if you have the winch connected to the 2nd battery the 2nd battery is going to drain really fast, guess where its going to recharge from and it won't be the alternator, it will start quickly draining your primary battery. So get the isolator as well, that way your deep cycle 2nd battery can be fully drained, and you can still start your truck, not to mention it will protect your primary battery and your alternator from the huge shock of the winch load. The isolator will automatically keep your primary battery charged, then it will charge your 2nd battery. So if you drain your 2nd battery using your winch, you will have to remember to either trickle charge it overnight, or if you are far enough away from home it will charge up as you drive.

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
2 batteries are great... and will fit in a b2.
I moved my coolant overflow behind the cruise control by the firewall... and then made a tray for the second battery where the overflow was.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
That sounds like a good plan. My cruise control doesnt work so I could remove all of that and make room for maybe 2 batteries. My goal hopefully next summer when I start my rock crawler project is the move the batteries into the floor board between the front and back seat and make a compartment just to help center some weight but for now the room under the hood will work!