•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Need Help With Driveshaft problems

88bronc2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
hi i have owned my 1988 bronco 2 for about three years and just love it. recently i installed a 6 inch suspension lift kit (stacked 2 3" rear blocks) with rough country 4" coils, and all drop brackets and 2" coil spacers. my rear driveshaft is causing major issues. i ripped the cv boots within the first 100ft of driving it due to the extreme angles and need a replacement. i want to replace it with a shaft that has u joints. i looked all over and read that a front shaft from a 91-94 explorer will work but i have no idea what length to get and what other parts i will need. i dont want to have to spend the money to get a custom one built if there is something that will work in the junkyard. any info will be greatly appreciated as i am currently driving a front wheel drive bronco II and that just isnt right :dunno:

voodoochylde

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
I used a rear shaft from a '92 explorer sport and had a local machine shop cut it down to size and re-weld it.

With that much lift, I don't know how much an explorer shaft would need to be shortened, if at all.

TEK4x4

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
i got mine out of a ranger that had a double cardinal u joint on the one end which means it has two u joints on one end and the other end down by my rear axle is just a normal u joint. i just had a local shop cut it down and re balance it for i think $65. ill try to get some pics today and show u what i mean if i go out and work on it

tomisb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.9L
get the front shaft out of a first gen explorer, then get 2 of the front flanges off of the rear shaft "the t-case side". With that much lift i be you could just put the flanges on both ends and call it good with a stock length front shaft for the rear. My B2 has a 2" lift and all i had to do to the front shaft is remove the double u-joint end and it fit like a glove.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Start by doing your lift properly and ditch those stacked blocks.