•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

need help

pawpaw13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
I have a 90 bronco 2 with a 2.9. Heres what I need help with. The truck runs great most of the time but sometimes it will act like it is running out of gas or has a short of some kind. It will finally die and you have to let it sit till it cools off and it will start back and run fine till the next time, which might be a day or a month later. It gives you no warning it just starts missing and dies.This has been going on for over a year now. I have dropped the tank and made sure the pump filter was not clogged. I have checked and cleaned the seniors on the uppur intake manifold. I've had the wiring checked by someone that seems to know what he is doing. He downloaded the codes and found no problem. I have replaced the fuel filter, coil, plugs, plug wires. dist. cap, rotor button, pick up in the dist. tfi module, fuel pressure regulator. I'm planning on giving it to my daughter for graduation, but I would like to know its going to get her back home when she leaves in it. Any ideas would help. Thanks

Bronco_Chuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 86 & 89
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 & 2.9
well my 86 has done something like that, it would die out then after it cooled off it would start back up, the only thing is that it would only run for about 5 mins after it started then die agin. it ended up being a problem with the computer so after i swapped it out no more problems. but it also killed my ignition moduial, so after 45 bucks for a new one it was back up and running.

country0001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Check ur engine to frame ground wire. Mine did something similar. It would run just fine til u sat in it. Then the gauges would go all screwy and it would sputter and die. Ireplaced all my cables alt and pigtail for the alt. It runs great now.

Will

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Sounds like the usual TFI failure.