•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Need to Unload my B2

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Ok, well as much as I hate to, I have got to get rid of my Bronco 2. I can't afford to try and fix the Bronco 2 as much as it needs it just keeps eating holes in my pockets and I can't afford to keep throwing money at it.

Anyone have any suggestions on a price, I don't want to lose what I paid for it.
Its the 1984 Bronco 2, 2.8L V6, 5 speed M/T, manual hubs, manual transfer case. It needs rust issues dealt with as has been mentioned in several of my posts.

Passenger side:

Driver side:

Front:

Rear:

I did put new tires on it a couple months ago, and they only have about 200 miles on them. I am looking for some ideas on price. Please help. Or if you know anyone that would like to purchase please PM me.

I didn't put this in the sale section as I'm trying to find out what kind of price to ask before I post it in a different section for sale.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
$1200 too much? I mean it runs and drives, just needs the crank shaft seal and radiator replaced, I have both just no time or place to install them at least till spring or summer when the weather will allow me time to do so.

Needs the interior either re-done or just someone that wants to make an offroader out of it, the interior is already pretty stripped for that LOL.

Anybody got any ideas on a general price? I paid $975 for it over a year ago in a barely running condition. It runs great just needs either a manual choke installed or someone with some better knowledge of the electric choke mess. Drives pretty well now for being 30 years old. Just had tires and alignment done 2 months ago.

Is $1200OBO too much to ask out of this? Thinking about parking it out front and putting a for sale sign in it. Just don't want to lose the $975 I put into it.

I also have a spare engine block, intake, a carburetor that needs a rebuild kit, and a few other parts I can't think of off hand.

will.moyer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
probably is an alright start mine was in just as bad body shape and now its barely running and i have a broken lifter and paid 700 for mine so i think 1200obo is a good start to it

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Thanks, just listed it on Craigslist for $1200OBO. Want to unload it and get a car. I don't need the capabilities of the Bronco 2, working 6 days a week I don't get out of town anyhow, and when I do its a 30 mile drive one way so I need something more economical and reliable. I hate to see it go, but it needs a lot more TLC than I am able to provide. It would take my whole year's income to do a restore on it and that's what it would need. So its time to let it go. :(

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
B2's just don't have Resell Value...
a rusted B2 with mismatch wheels, You'll do good to get your money back (at least in my area). Good Luck though, I hope you get what you need from it.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
^^At this point at least get out of what I've had to put into it in parts and tires. Funny people ask a fortune for their crap all over the place but yet they don't want that price when it someone else's stuff.

Worst case I'll yank the tires off and crush it.

GentleRF

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Too bad I'm broke and having deal with wife's Achilles' tendon surgery. Otherwise I'd be saying "road trip".

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
crush it.
crush it?

yeah I know people ask small fortunes for stuff, doesn't mean it'll sell though. I've decided a LONG time ago I wouldn't sell my B2, I'll never get enough out of it simply bc it's a B2. I couldn't cover my suspension, wheels, tires, gears, lockers with what I could sell it for. It'll just be a yard ornament before I sell it.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Anyone know of a way to otherwise restore it for practically nothing? That was my goal as it definitely needs work both inside and out. I can't afford to do much of anything I make about $12k a year so its not like I can just take to to the shop and say hey fix this.

Yes, everyone where I live wants a fortune for their stuff and people come a long and buy it. Course my luck doesn't work that way. I sold a perfect condition 1984 Ford Ranger a few years ago for $700 because I was fed up with the carburetor/computer garbage, other than that issue there were not dents scratches or other damage to the body, the interior was excellent with the exception of the standard cracked dash, which ironically the Bronco 2 has as well only worse.

Anyone have any ideas on this thing? I want to keep it but there's nothing I can do myself body wise to fix the rust issues, body panel replacement parts cost more than I make in a paycheck. This is why I am at this dead end right now. Not to mention I haven't driven it the past 2 or 3 weeks due to the extreme cold it doesn't stay running LOL.

ab_slack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Its always that way, when you want something, everyone wants a fortune for it, but when you go to sell it no body will pay anything.

My second BII, an 89 cost me $3K, 5 years and 50K miles later ended up selling it for $200. It was still in good running order. It needed a new muffler and tail-pipe. It had lots of rust underneath but probably good for many years except one of the rear shock absorber mounts completely rusted away so needed some welding done. The price I sold it for was probably less than I could have gotten scrap for it.

I didn't have much money and the auto insurance was killing me costing $100 per month for the second vehicle. So practically gave it away. Little did I know that when I sold it, the insurance went up on my other vehicle saving me only $30 per month instead of $100...had I known that I would have kept it.

I also know far more now about fixin these than I did then. Anyways it was pretty sad to see it go and when I had more money I got my current B2

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Ok, so I deleted my ad on Craigslist. So I think it can sit if anything. Is there anything I can really do to stop the current rust issue from spreading? Like sanding down and cutting out bad areas, and using a primer or something? Any guidance will help me salvage this and hopefully keep it alive until I can save enough money for proper repairs.

I enjoy driving it, don't ask me why, but its the same with the Rangers as well, I for some reason really enjoy driving RBV's, didn't mind the older explorers either.

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Por15 if you can afford it.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Por15 if you can afford it.
So you just say cut out the worst part, then clean up the area as in sand it down and apply this material? Looks to be about $45-50 a gallon so it wouldn't be that bad as far as cost, and if its something I could apply without any special equipment I'd be good to go.

ab_slack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
I enjoy driving it, don't ask me why, but its the same with the Rangers as well, I for some reason really enjoy driving RBV's, didn't mind the older explorers either.
I don't know why either. Before getting my original 88 B2 (brand new) I was looking at a number of 4WD vehicles and when I drove the B2 it was hands down my favorite. I was without one for a few years before getting my current one and, I just plain enjoy driving it in a way that some of the nice cars and even my 02 explorer I just don't.

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
$40 a quart typically.

superds

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84 90 2013
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8/2.9/5.0
So you just say cut out the worst part, then clean up the area as in sand it down and apply this material? Looks to be about $45-50 a gallon so it wouldn't be that bad as far as cost, and if its something I could apply without any special equipment I'd be good to go.
While I've never actually used POR15 yet I do have a quart waiting for my next opportunity to use it. I have heard great things about it and it can be applied with a brush. However, it is recommended that it be topcoated in areas exposed to UV.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Thanks guys maybe I'll give the Por15 a try this spring when I can work outside in nice weather.

Drove it around a bit this afternoon for the first time in the past couple weeks, and surprisingly it started, figured the battery would be dead but it had plenty of cranking power and was running pretty well as always. It just looks horrible, and it leaves a trail of oil and coolant wherever it goes LOL. That will be another spring project getting that last oil leak plugged, and the radiator replaced.

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
I love POR15...

richard booth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.9 for now.
There is good rust stopping stuff in the paint section at any home depot or similar store for like 6 bucks that will stop the rust. Should be done in warmer setting like a garage but will really help the appearance if you "rattle can" some paint over it. Pains me to see any 1st gen ranger or B2 rotting away when 10 bucks could really stop it and improve the appearance. I get the stuff in a jar that you brush on anywhere, then when it dries adequately I paint over it, been working for years. Also no front pic? why is the hood not closing properly? I don't want to bum you out but I got a nice 88 B2 w a bad trans for 500 bucks, If I was you I would really try to clean up the rig looks wise to get back at least most of your investment. Wish you the best w it.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
There is good rust stopping stuff in the paint section at any home depot or similar store for like 6 bucks that will stop the rust. Should be done in warmer setting like a garage but will really help the appearance if you "rattle can" some paint over it. Pains me to see any 1st gen ranger or B2 rotting away when 10 bucks could really stop it and improve the appearance. I get the stuff in a jar that you brush on anywhere, then when it dries adequately I paint over it, been working for years. Also no front pic? why is the hood not closing properly? I don't want to bum you out but I got a nice 88 B2 w a bad trans for 500 bucks, If I was you I would really try to clean up the rig looks wise to get back at least most of your investment. Wish you the best w it.
There's a front pic somewhere but anyhow not much worried about it. The hood wasn't closing right because I didn't have it closed purposely because my multi-meter and battery charger were sitting under the hood just right to not allow it to close.

Clean it up with what? It needs body panels replaced plain and simple there's no washing it. And those pictures are a year old, as in I brought it home shoved it off the trailer and snapped the pictures.

I really wish I knew what is all over the hood, I thought it was just dirty, but I washed and scrubbed it and it won't come off, it doesn't look like rust either, just really weird. The whole thing needs sanded and repainted, but that's about $8000 to have the whole thing redone including replacing the body panels that are rusted, and that's about 80% of my annual income right now so I'm thinking about just sanding and taking care of what I can now to at least keep the issue from getting worse. Then as time goes by I can start getting the panels and then just take everything down to the body shop and having it done.

$500 for something that didn't move? At least mine moves LOL. These B2's aren't worth much but you sure see them listed for thousands of dollars, found 1 today that looks like someone wrecked every side of it, none of the body panels matched, none were painted just asking for rust.

I'm kind of thinking my B2 is a lost cause the more I look around the more rust I find so I may just leave it as is, drive it around until the tires are worn out then call Pacific Steel to come get it. There's no way its worth more than scrap price and there's nothing on it or in it worth salvaging or parting out and I'm sure as hell not wasting my time tearing it apart to do so. Maybe the side windows and back window but I wouldn't even attempt removing that stuff myself I'd have it broke before I got it out LOL.

Anyhow enough said, I'll keep it as is till the tires are worn out again then I'll get rid of it. I'm not letting a $400 set of tires go to the scrapper.