•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

new and need help!

troyb1986

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Hello,
I have a 1988 bronco ii 2.9l 4x4 with the 12 bolt manual transmission. I cannot Get it in second gear For the life of me. No grinding or anything, just won't go in gear. Every other gear works just fine. Idk much about these transmissions. Any help is much appreciated!

SenorNoob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
If your talking about the fm146, I want to see an answer for this one as well. I have an fm146 that was supposedly rebuilt, but is hard to go into second on mornings when the temperature is below about 60F.

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
If it's just one gear having an issue, I would think there's an issue with the shifter mechanism (worn shift fork or linkage rod or something) or maybe the 1-2 shift collar if it's 2nd gear.

Been awhile since I looked at my FM146 (what would be factory with a '88 2.9L) however I seem to recall the shifter tower comes right off at the rear of the trans, and you should be able to look over everything inside.

Might I suggest getting yourself a set of factory service books for your truck. They are a great wealth of information along with plenty of diagnostic procedures (far & above what dumbed-down "consumer" manuals such as Haynes have to offer). I see the factory manuals popping up on Ebay all the time.