•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

new Bronco 2 owner

slclogston

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I just recently purchased a 1990 Bronco 2. This thing is great! I live in Kodiak, Alaska and this thing just climbs up steep hills and over rocks and through rivers. And i hadn't even done any work on it at the time!
That being said, I have started to do some serious work on it as it is a sturdy truck, but abused by the previous owner and it needs some love.
I am comtiplating rebuilding the 2.9 V6 instead of up grading. Any suggestions by anyone out there on a place to purchase an actual rebuild kit?
Also, I have the A4LD. It really isn't that bad of a transmission, but I think its starting to go after 19-20 years of service. I like having an automatic, so would it be wise to rebuild it? I read somewhere about an offroad package for this? Is it worth it? Or are there better transmissions if I stay with the 2.9 V6?
I'd just like to say again, I love this truck I wish Ford still made em. I haven't had this much fun since I was tearing around the desert in a Hummer!

Sunk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Cool, I used to live in Kodiak, and there is at least one more member on here who lives there.

The C4 was offered as well as the A4LD, and I believe it is a stronger unit. Your best bet would be to swap in a manual, such as a Mitsubishi FM146 or a Mazda M50D if you can get one.

fordmandan87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
87/92/97/11
Vehicle
Ford×3/Freightl
Engine Size
/5.0/4.0/7.3/DD15
i agreee manual is stronger and if you rebuild the engine get the heads off a newer 2.9 and a kit would be available at a local parts store

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Reaction score
i agreee manual is stronger and if you rebuild the engine get the heads off a newer 2.9 and a kit would be available at a local parts store
His heads are the newer style since his BII is a '90.

slclogston

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Thanks, I'll look into the C4, I wasn't sure if the bolt pattern would match up. How do you all feel about steel radiator hoses?

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
It's actually a C5, not C4, they're very similar though. The C5 is an older model transmission (it lacks overdrive), but is known to be pretty reliable.

The A4LD does not have as much reputation for reliability, although I would think that if you rebuild it before it actually fails completely (possibly damaging other parts in there) and have the internals built to the 4.0L specifications, it would be fairly reliable behind your 2.9L.

If it were mine own though, I'd just go with a stickshift conversion. The auto saps quite a bit of power from the little V6.

Totalled

Law Enforcement
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
8 rabid gophers
If it were mine own though, I'd just go with a stickshift conversion. The auto saps quite a bit of power from the little V6.
X11ty billion. Having had both behind the same engine in a couple rigs... it's amazing how much power is lost through the auto.

slclogston

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
If I convert to a stick would that take away my push button four wheel drive? That thing is really nice not having to get out to lock my hubs. Call me lazy

BlackBII

Cheaf of Grammor Poleace
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
If I convert to a stick would that take away my push button four wheel drive? That thing is really nice not having to get out to lock my hubs. Call me lazy
No, you can keep your electric shift T-case if you swap to a manual tranny.

And it's the hubs that keep you inside your truck, not the t-case itself. :D

Ruffinit

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996, 2003
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.3 Duratec
According to Ford, the "new" 2.9 heads never made it to the production engines. They were only replaced if there were issues with the original heads. So even if he has a '90 there is NO guarantee that they are the new heads.
If you're going to rebuild your 2.9 check with Ford, they should be able to tell you which ones you have. I have the C5 in my '84. If you're going to build it as a fun (zoom) BII, put the 5 speed in it.

thunderbuggy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
I just swapped a 1988 manual into an 86 auto b2. It was a very easy swap and took about one day. I also got rid of the auto hubs and put the 88 manual hubs in. Trust me, you want to do this. If you keep the a4ld,you will sink alot of money in it to make it strong and then you still have the weak auto hubs. I only had my 86 two weeks before the auto and the auto hubs went gunnybag. The donor b2 only cost me 100 bucks and After taking the tranny, transfer case, hubs, and clutch linkage, I got 150 for it at the junkyard. Wish I would have kept the seats, and other stuff dammit. The donor tranny was a fm146 model.

stevesb2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9liter rebuilt w/new heads
If you're going to keep the old heads, you'll probably want to get them magnaflux just to make sure nothing is happening to them & don't run with the 195 degree thermostat. Use the 180 or 160 degree stat, keeps the heads cooler. You can get some good aftermarket heads on Ebay though. The castings are thicker so you don't have to worry about heat. Make sure you get your radiator cored or replace it with a new one. Good luck.

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Not trying to start the 2.9-4.0 argument, but..
I have ran both engines, I think they are both awesome engines, but there's absolutely no comparison to to power. Also less head and lifter problems.

I'm just saying... since you'll have both the engine and transmission out, I'd find a donor 4.0L M5OD-R1 Ranger or Exploder.

I loved my old B2s (86,88,89), but if they had 4.0Ls in 'em...