•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

New guy, new project: 1988 BII wheeler

DumpsterGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L Durasparked, with an Offy 4 Barrel intake, Holley 390cfm, and Edelbrock headers
I just read this whole thread. Very cool. I want to see it in action.

leumas12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
I'll be sure to take a few videos when it gets going :icon_thumby:

leumas12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
steering ram mount will hopefully get finished tonight, gotta go buy some more welding wire though. Then the front axle is ready to roll :icon_thumby:

:icon_cheers:Happy St. Patty's Day everyone:icon_cheers:

spaz1879

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
swweeeet. lets see them pics we'll belive when we see it:beer: was it a pain to get it lined up and what not or rather simple weld in procedure?

leumas12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Here is the ram mount. Not on the axle yet, hopefully that will come tomorrow morning. Here it is with the holes drilled:

Then i welded 2 pieces of 2x2x.25" angle iron to it to make a guard for the cylinder as well as to stiffen up the mount.

Here is how the cylinder sits in it:

Im pretty happy with how it turned out. Having the flat side of the angle iron will also make it easy to weld to the truss. Of course it will be gusseted as well. I will post more pictures whenever that gets done :icon_thumby: Thanks guys!

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Supporting Member
1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Looking good on the build...Have you thought about using your B2 tank sideways in the back of the truck and just fab a small box over it?? I know you got the rear hung already, but did you think about using Jeep's teraflex shackles, I heard they let leaf sprung axles articulate almost vertical under the truck...Something to look into:icon_thumby:Keep up the great work, and the great pics:icon_cheers:

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
You were doing good untill you welded these two vertical welds. That's now a stress point and the original frame will crack before the weld.

Would have been just as strong without the weld or if you would have run them to a point in the middle of the frame.

Welding vertical on a channel frame is a no no. Your rig, not mine.

leumas12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Looking good on the build...Have you thought about using your B2 tank sideways in the back of the truck and just fab a small box over it?? I know you got the rear hung already, but did you think about using Jeep's teraflex shackles, I heard they let leaf sprung axles articulate almost vertical under the truck...Something to look into:icon_thumby:Keep up the great work, and the great pics:icon_cheers:
ive seen those teraflex shackles break before so im sticking with normal shackles :) As for the gas tank, its just too big to fit in the back as it is now because of the dovetail i will be doing later. Im gonna try and make a tall skinny one to go behind the seat. thanks :icon_thumby:

You were doing good untill you welded these two vertical welds. That's now a stress point and the original frame will crack before the weld.

Would have been just as strong without the weld or if you would have run them to a point in the middle of the frame.

Hmm i had no idea about that... Any way to repair it now?

spaz1879

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size

Hmm i had no idea about that... Any way to repair it now?
i have read about this before you are supossed to weld on the frame like this < or in a C im not sure if there is a way to fix it? i am wondering that myself too.

spaz1879

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
any luck on building that gas tank? or starting the dove tail?

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Grind the weld out and possibly 1/4 or more of the base plate that was added. Bevel the one edge and add in a triangle piece. Make sure that both the old plate an the new triangle have a bevel towards each other. Try to get a root pass just enough to penetrate the 3/8 plate you have added. Then fill it in till it's just above being flush. You can then weld the other two sides to the frame.

On the front the body mount may need to come off and be modified. to go back over the new plate.

leumas12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
thanks copykat, i will address that later.

No fuel cell or dovetail yet, working on the front axle first. here are the pictures of the hydraulic cylinder mount (not completed, still have some more gusseting to do)

Added the 2x2" tubing to push it out from the axle a little:

And welded it on

Tight fit but all bolts will be accessible still, fits perfectly actually

Went to the scrap yard today and got some 3x2x.25" tubing for my links. Also got some angle iron and plate for the quick and easy winch bumper im gonna make. Thanks guys :icon_thumby:

Sam

spaz1879

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
that things looks chunk nasty how does it work?:headbang:

skyy_4life

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo
omg dude this is an outroagous build... i am looking forward to seeing this beast done. keep us posted for sure! :icon_thumby:

leumas12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
thanks alot guys :)

That mount is what i will be bolting the steering cylinder to (its mocked up in pic 5) Since this rig will be running fully hydraulic steering (like fork lifts, tractors, etc use), there is no mechanical link between the steering wheel and tires. The steering wheel is hooked up to a valve body called a steering control unit which directs hydraulic fluid to either side of the steering cylinder. You can see the big holes in the plate, those are for the hydraulic connections to the ports in the cylinder. That causes the shaft in the cylinder to move left or right which will turn the tires since the ends of the shaft are connected to steering arms. It will make it so that even with big tires and a welded differential i will be able to steer with my pinky finger. Should work out great for this truck. :icon_thumby:

leumas12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Hey guys! Got the gusseting done on the hydraulic cylinder mount. Came out good, looks pretty nice too. Heres what it looks like (the axle is upside down obviously). You can also see the awesome wooden drag link in the back under the tarp :D:

Figured that it didn’t support the outer edges of the mount enough, plus it would leave my hoses for the cylinder pretty vulnerable so I added these. I ran out of welding gas on the second one so I had to grind out the weld. Its done now haha. Also, there is a gap between the middle plate and the axle tube to that any mud/water/debris that gets in there can drain out.:

And I drilled this 1 1/8” hole for the hose to go through to protect it. It will be getting a grommet of course to keep the steel from it wearing down. Both hoses go straight back under the truss for protection.

Next im making the tie rods for the ends of the cylinder and rolling the axle under. Then comes time to build the arms and coil mounts. Thanks! :icon_thumby:

Sam

spaz1879

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
looks beefy hopefully you dont run into any trouble with that thing would be a shame if you had to move it.

leumas12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
I got the tie rods mostly done but now finishing up the clevises for the cylinder ends. Will post pics when its all done (hopefully tomorrow :icon_thumby:)