•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

No Spark

raiper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
BII
Engine Size
posted this in the tranny forum but i relized that it prolly in the wrong forum section now.

ok here let me start from scratch.

1991 Bronco 2 converted to the Explorer 4.0 engine as well with the A4ld auto tranny. Everything Bolted right up and harnesses connected right up. It has the same dash and wiring as the the 1991 explorer and connectors. My fuel pump and starter and electric fan were all wired on switches separate systems. You still had to have the key turned on to get it to run.

Blew the A4LD doing posi donuts
Let it sit where it broke down for like 3 months
ripped it out the auto and grabbed a 5 speed tranny.
Took the A4LD out and put the 5 speed in.
Took the pedal assembly out of another explorer that was a manual and put it in as well. Hooked up those pink, green and 2 other colored wires that clips onto the clutch pedal assembly.
Jumped the red wire with blue stripe and pink one and hooked them together.
switched out the PCM from an auto to a manual

Turned the ignition on.
flipped the fuel pump on
cranked the starter
ran a solid ground from the engine to the battery just to make sure the engine was grounded

no spark!

IT FREAKIN RAN BEFORE I TORE IT APART!

what did i do wrong?

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
My first guess would be the p/n switch is not energised as it should be. If you placed one on the clutch, maybe the auto one is still thinking incorrectly?
Big Jim

raiper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
BII
Engine Size
the shifter on the coulum is in park i made sure of that one today. how do you "energize the p/n switch"

ok heres another question, but i hooked up a test light to the red wire that connects into the coil pack and the light lit up. it still lights up when i crank the engine. so i know power in my belief is getting to the coil pack, but not going to the spark plugs. is the coil pack faulty?

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
The switch is not in the column it is in the auto tranny that isn't in there anymore. Im not familiar with the wire colors but did you wire up the clutch switch properly?
Big Jim

raiper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
BII
Engine Size
explain

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok heres another question, but i hooked up a test light to the red wire that connects into the coil pack and the light lit up. it still lights up when i crank the engine. so i know power in my belief is getting to the coil pack, but not going to the spark plugs. is the coil pack faulty? also the 3 yellow wires i believe are not showing anything.

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ranger
Check your wiring and connector to the crankshaft position sensor, which is next to the crankshaft damper. If it's cranking, then the problem isn't in the P/N switch circuit. Since you changed out the PCM, you may want to try reseating the connector, and check the fuses & PCM relay. Do you know
it the manual PCM you installed is good? Since you are over-riding the PCM's control of the fuel pump, the PCM could be "dead".

Last edited:

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Bob is correct bout it cranking... I must have had my head under my wing when I was thinking of the P/N switch.
Big JIm

raiper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
BII
Engine Size
but how would that explain it running when i had the fuel pump bypassed before i did the tranny swap. ran perfectly before the auto tranny went out. checked the fuses and the relays under the hood. I cant figure out what the other relay is there for though. 1 goes to the fuel pump, the other clicks when i turn the key on and the third one just doenst seem to do anything, but i replaced it. I also put the AUTO PCM back in the truck to see if that would do it, but same stuff. I lost my book and currently dont have the funds to get a new one. am i supposed to get any voltage across those signal wires going to the coil pack?

raiper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
BII
Engine Size
ill check the CPS and reseat the connector tonight

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ranger
but how would that explain it running when i had the fuel pump bypassed before i did the tranny swap. ran perfectly before the auto tranny went out. checked the fuses and the relays under the hood. I cant figure out what the other relay is there for though. 1 goes to the fuel pump, the other clicks when i turn the key on and the third one just doenst seem to do anything, but i replaced it. I also put the AUTO PCM back in the truck to see if that would do it, but same stuff. I lost my book and currently dont have the funds to get a new one. am i supposed to get any voltage across those signal wires going to the coil pack?
If the PCM isn't firing the coils, you should measure roughly 12V on all 4 wires in the primary plug on the coilpack.

raiper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
BII
Engine Size
well i feel like a dumbass. it was the CPS after all. the connector was broken on the back side where i couldnt see from when i got it pulled up to my friends garage from his field and ripped out the metal tranny cooler lines by accident. Now to just get it to fire up. Bad gas in line and tank so im gonna throw in a additive cocktail of system cleaner, octane booster and some iso-heet ontop of 5 gal of gas. Thanks for all the help guys!

raiper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
BII
Engine Size
ok smark ones im being dumb again now i dont have fuel going through the injectors, or atleast i believe so. I hooked up a 194 bulb assembly from a turn signal. unhooked an injector plug and put the wire in from the light assembly and the light doesnt flash...i was thinking i could use it as a cheap noid light, but i guess not or the injectors arent getting a pulse. But boy do i get sparK! shocked the shit outta me the other day