•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

noise from rear end

MiniMe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I am slowly bringing an 89 B2 2.9 Automatic back to life after sitting for a few years. I notice when taking off a little harder than normal from a stop I hear a grinding/popping noise from rear end. If I take off slow or normal from a stop I do not hear a noise. Could this be My CV drive shaft bearings making that noise? Are the bearings in the drive shaft suppose to be visible? Shouldnt be a dust seal or something covering the bearing from the elements like dust and dirt? how can u tell if a CV drive shaft is bad? please see other post for shifting issue.

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
No, the CV bearings should not be visible.

Best swap for that is to a double-cardan U-joint style driveshaft.
The front driveshaft from a junkyard Explorer or Ranger (from a 1354 t-case-equipped truck) makes for a good low-budget swap, it'll just need the tube shortened a couple inches & rebalanced at a driveline shop. You'll also need the front output yoke off the 1354 t-case (to replace your case's rear flange) along with a flange to mate up with the axle pinion flange.

MiniMe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
No, the CV bearings should not be visible.

Best swap for that is to a double-cardan U-joint style driveshaft.
The front driveshaft from a junkyard Explorer or Ranger (from a 1354 t-case-equipped truck) makes for a good low-budget swap, it'll just need the tube shortened a couple inches & rebalanced at a driveline shop. You'll also need the front output yoke off the 1354 t-case (to replace your case's rear flange) along with a flange to mate up with the axle pinion flange.
Will the yolks and flange from an explorer or ranger just slip right in to my tc and rear end or will I have to modify them? So a front drive shaft from this vehicles are
longer than my rear drive shaft?

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
It's about 2" longer, yes.
If you had a '87 or older BII with the 5-speed stick, that driveshaft would fit right in. Unfortunately the automatic (and later stickshifts) the transmission is 2" longer, therefore the shaft needs to be shortened to fit). It's still far cheaper to have a driveline shop shorten and rebalance it than to have an all-new custom shaft built however (about $50-75 vs 250-350).

The t-case yoke is a direct swap, yes. The rear driveshaft flange is to mate the shaft to your axle's pinion flange (a front shaft doesn't have one on it normally). Such flange can be pulled off the t-case end of the rear driveshaft of the same donor vehicle you're pulling the front shaft from.

MiniMe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
It's about 2" longer, yes.
If you had a '87 or older BII with the 5-speed stick, that driveshaft would fit right in. Unfortunately the automatic (and later stickshifts) the transmission is 2" longer, therefore the shaft needs to be shortened to fit). It's still far cheaper to have a driveline shop shorten and rebalance it than to have an all-new custom shaft built however (about $50-75 vs 250-350).

The t-case yoke is a direct swap, yes. The rear driveshaft flange is to mate the shaft to your axle's pinion flange (a front shaft doesn't have one on it normally). Such flange can be pulled off the t-case end of the rear driveshaft of the same donor vehicle you're pulling the front shaft from.
Looks like I'm goin to the junk yard this weekend looking for an explorer front D's... one more question.... does it matter which yoke I take off transfer case; are front and rear yoke the same?

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
No, the rear has the same flange your 1350 case has, you need the front yoke off the 1354.

MiniMe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
No, the rear has the same flange your 1350 case has, you need the front yoke off the 1354.
Sorry for my ignorance. So let me get my list correct

1. One front drive shaft from 91-94 explorer
2. Yoke from the FRONT of the transfer case of 91-94 explorer
3. Flange from the REAR differential of a 91-94 explorer
Then take take my old cv driveshaft and new drive shaft to driveline shop so to get it the new drive shaft shorten to same length as CV drive shaft

is this correct?

I went to pick n pull yesterday after work to scout around and I found a perfect donor vehicle

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Sorry for my ignorance. So let me get my list correct

1. One front drive shaft from 91-94 explorer
Yep.

2. Yoke from the FRONT of the transfer case of 91-94 explorer
Yep again.

3. Flange from the REAR differential of a 91-94 explorer
Nope... Flange off the t-case side of the rear driveshaft.
This piece here:

Then take take my old cv driveshaft and new drive shaft to driveline shop so to get it the new drive shaft shorten to same length as CV drive shaft

is this correct?
Yep.

Note that you can grab the same parts from a 4.0L '90-'97 Ranger also, just in case whatever vehicle you found doesn't work out (is missing the parts you want, etc.).