•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Not Another CTOR Build

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
its in several peices, in a box in the corner of my garage. I'm thinking of resurrecting it again, now that i am getting more into the flex/crawl/challenging side of wheeling vs mud.

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
i plan to get rid of the block and lower the truck atlest 2 inches in susp height

brendank

It's only money...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I think you will be fine. You may need to correct the pinion angle again.

Should look into a zero rate add a leaf for the back to stretch it out a bit.
x2. Put in the doubler, correct the pinion angle, and keep the double-cardan shaft.

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
Well took the truck to a proposed park that may get built in Michigan this weekend and i toasted a 5-760x joint (a new one) and wiped out the ears on my LF axle shaft.

But after this past weekend i will be tearing the truck back down and going through and redoing alot of the steering and suspension. i"ll post pics of my work and mods. but ultimatly my plan is to lower the truck 2-3 inches and get it to flex better. And get the fron axle stronger.

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
i think i'll give some chrome moly's a try before spending the money to try and find a D60

D44 or a TTB D35 the axle joint is still the same as is the ears of the shafts so either axle would've most likely had the same outcome

Last edited:

351ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990 B2 Dana 44
How can you possibly blow through that many shafts? I finally blew out a u joint on mine and it has smaller joints than yours, and it was just a joint not the shaft. I even went rock crawling in harlan kentucky without a problem. Are you outright abusing the shit out of it and hammering on it til it purposely blows? Not trying to knock you I just can't understand how you can go through so many shafts. Try tacking the caps in place and see if that helps.

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
this weekend was the first shaft i lost due to a ujoint failure (and yes the caps were tacked, and i've already been through the snap ring mod) all my previous shafts have failed do to the neck down at the spilnes snapping. I really haven't been abusing it bad, and this past weekend i was even trying to take it easy. But all but this last shaft were all pre 1980 shafts. I think i am just axleshaft cursed.

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
welli am tearing down the susp on the B2, and i am thinking of extending the wheelbase. I was thinking in the front. But i want to retain coils and i currently rn a D44 SAS on it. I was also thinking of extending the rear, but i am worried about the rear 1/4 interefernce with the tires. What is everyones ideas on coil relocation, and steering geometry. As well as what are some ideas in the rear retaining leaf springs.

some current measurements

a general shot of my current set-up

351ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990 B2 Dana 44
You should be able to move the front out without a problem. You can stick with coils just move the buckets forward as far as you want and cut the fender to match. You will probably have to go with an eb style steering box that mounts on the outside of the frame.

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
well looks like some changes are in store for Rough Neck and Explanger.....

Holshotracer just bought a bender and chop saw and i'll be buying a knotcher and i already have a sweet welder. Time to start building some cages etc....to go along with my susp change, i'll probably start the tear down again this weekend. I am debating pulling the body off before starting the tear down but i'll probably just leave it on. Don't need to create more work for myself.

But what i have in store in the next two-three months will be (not necessary in this order)

1. extending the front axle atleast 3"
2. Build extented radius arms
3. Chrome moly axle shafts up front
4. Swap my explorer 8.8 with a Full Width 8.8
5. Roll Cage with 5 points (i already have one set of belts)
6. Rock sliders
7. Spare tire carrier
8. Possibly a roof rack
9. Ladder bars or similar in the rear to help with axle wrap
10. lower the trucks height atleast 2"s
11. relocate the battery to the rear

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford