•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Official A4LD Problem Thread!

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 2001
Vehicle
1989=Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9 V6
I recently bought a '88 Bronco II with the a4ld and haven't put 20 miles on it.
Went to put new tires on it....had no reverse(and neutral) to get out of the shop! Had to put the transfer case in neutral(took me 20 minutes to think of that :icon_rofl:) and rolled out. Got about 2 miles down the road and it had explosive diarehha at a stop sign. Lost every single gear:shok:

1988 b2
35x12.50 tires
EB d44/9 with 3.08 gears
supposedly 56K miles

*side-note: after i cleaned it I noticed the transfer case a a leak/crack...awesome....

Any ideas whats wrong? The junkyard has a tranny and transfer for $225 I just have to install it somehow(never installed a tranny).
I paid $250 x 2 so far for A4LD's without the transfer case. Depending on where the fluid puked? That will point to about where and what to look for the failed point. Normally a good puke and lots of smoke= front seal, as the crossover exhaust pipe runs right below the bellhousing.

It's a job best done by two people, and with the best of luck? Shop labor rate is about 8 hours. (after prep work my wife and I can knock 'em in/out in about 6...)(Prep work: Flushing lines, replacing the cooler lines from the salvage yard one over to something less grungy...R&R front pump seal and staking a new one in place...etc...)

4x4 with a loaded transfer case changes the deal a bit. The 2wd models I've found (again....I've done this dance a total of 3 times) Have a dummy (empty) transfer case, and we drop the transmission with it attached. Doing the drop and install with the case attached for 4wd? Unless you have a lot of help and armstrong friends? It's gonna have to come off before the transmission is dropped and reattached after the transmission is in.

Couple of side bar notes for the 2.9v6 with the A4LD:

CHECK YOUR CRANKSHAFT SPACER!! That's the small round part the flex plate bolts to. The inside has a type of pilot hole for the end of the torque converter. If it's worn or looks busted or egg shaped? REPLACE IT!! We didn't do that when we changed ours the first time---and the torque converter was ever-so-slightly off center. The front seal and bushing gave it up after a couple of months. (even the transmission shops could not figure out the 'noise' it made...until it puked it's fluid)

When you get a transmission from the 'yard'? They supply (in most cases) a matched torque converter. Examine the 'snout' for signs of wear, rubbing, or a neatly made ridge where the seal rides. Yeah you'll need to replace the front seal regardless, and to get any type of 15-30 day "warranty" you'll need to change out the front seal. If you see a ridge where the seal was rubbing? I'd suggest either having the torque converter "Sleeved" or better yet? Just replace it with a reman'd one. I hate doing a job more then once, and like I said---we've R&R ours 3 times so far. (we could have saved a lot of headache if we just paid attention and did basic deep checks)

You'll also need a filter/gasket kit. If the pan has the deep 'sump' (looks like a huge nipple sticking out of the bottom of the pan) Be sure to get the filter that has the extended pickup. Otherwise there's always a chance on a very steep grade it'll fail to pump correctly. Plus it's a good time to inspect the former filter for carnage.

You can also get to the top two bolts with a very unique 13mm socket and flex-o-ratchet. From the top, and it looks impossible---but once you wangle your arm into place? It actually goes pretty quick. (if yours is lifted enough? This might be a non-issue)

Just a few basic bits we've picked up while doing ours. Only other advice would be to make damn sure the shift indicator lines up 100% perfect with the gear you are going for. If not? The spool valve in the transmission may be slightly 'off' the mark---and that creates havoc with the internal transmission pressures. If you need help in fine tuning it? Just ask.

Good luck!

S-

odley2001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1988 1993
Vehicle
FORD
A4ld

Bought a new to me 1996 for explorer project with the brother to the a 4ld it seems to be a little late shifting and pics up the revs from 1-2 or 3-4 if you let off the gas it shifts and the rpms drop and acts normal any ideas:icon_confused:
thanks
scott

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 2001
Vehicle
1989=Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Could be something as simple (other then the usual default "Fluid condition and level") as the modulator valve getting weak and needing either replacement or adjustment. Mine's doing the same thing with a new modulator valve (it's adjustable) however it's such a pain in the rear end? I'll take the late 'harder' shifting. (it's not to bad LOL)

S-

CraigK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
"James Bond" Oil Slick & Smoke Screen

I haven't driven my '87 BII AT 4WD on the interstate (I-95) in very hot weather 95°F+ for several years, but did this past weekend while hauling a small trailer. A problem that I'd had previously began to occur again, in fact, occurred several times during this trip.

Near as I can figure, the transmission fluid reaches its flash point and suddenly boils. A huge spray of ATF fluid blows out somewhere under the vehicle, burning on the exhaust system and making a huge blue cloud of smoke and oil spray. Very cool. Unless you are me, or the driver behind me.

I have a small tranny cooler mounted in front of the rad, and have had the tranny looked at for circulation etc., and it all checks out. The engine temp gauge rose steadily during the trip (~90 miles round trip) and I was unable to use my AC, as this caused an additional spike in engine coolant temperature. I used about 2-3quarts of ATF during the trip, most of which is on the underside and hatch of my BII, all over my trailer, and I suspect all over the windshields of several pissed off drivers!

Possible Solutions?
I'd rather not install yet another tranny fluid cooler, besides, I already have one. Several years ago I bought some sort of ATF additive that raised the flash point. This seemed to help a great deal, however, this stuff has either worn out or is gone from the system, and I can't find an additive that is advertised to do this.

I'm thinking that maybe by using synthetic ATF, I can raise the flash point of the fluid enough to prevent further blowouts. It looks like the flash point of synthetic ATF is 80F° or more higher than regular ATF. Has anyone had this kind of blowout experience? If so, what did you do to solve the problem? Can you MIX old regular ATF with new synthetic ATF? Which synthetic grade/type would I use?

As usual, any ideas, help or insight will be appreciated.

CraigK

jfisher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I just went through this thread and didn't see this issue posted.

My truck is pretty rusty underneath and one of the tranny lines has developed a tiny hole and is leaking trans fluid pretty good. I can't seem to find anywhere that sells the prebent lines and a local mechanic shop wants $350 to bend up new lines. No thanks...

Does anyone know what fittings are on the end of the lines and what the size of the factory lines are? I'm thinking they're 3/8", and how hard is it going to be to bend up some new line?

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Vehicle
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
3.0,4.0OHV 2.9, 4.6DOHC, 4.0SOHC
Wtf A4ld

I lost 1st gear, so I fully rebuilt the the hole damn thing.
I found to my dismay 1st gear clutches grinded down to the steel and the steelies where hot spotted and chunked.:annoyed:

After the shift kit, clutches, steelies, thrust washers, neddle bearings, bands, servos, ajustable vac. mod., seals, rings, HD tq. converter, converter seal and bushing where replaced....

She jumps right off the line, shifts great, and is smooth.:icon_thumby:

After the test drive I backed up my steep driveway and I noticed a trail of trans fulid, I checked the cooler line, nothing... ITS THE DAMN CONVERTER SEAL.:bawling::thefinger:

BTW the old converter bushing had too much play, steel chunks embeded, and ground down even around. The old seal never leaked.
WTF
WTF
WTF
WTF

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Vehicle
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
I haven't driven my '87 BII AT 4WD on the interstate (I-95) in very hot weather 95°F+ for several years, but did this past weekend while hauling a small trailer. A problem that I'd had previously began to occur again, in fact, occurred several times during this trip.

Near as I can figure, the transmission fluid reaches its flash point and suddenly boils. A huge spray of ATF fluid blows out somewhere under the vehicle, burning on the exhaust system and making a huge blue cloud of smoke and oil spray. Very cool. Unless you are me, or the driver behind me.

I have a small tranny cooler mounted in front of the rad, and have had the tranny looked at for circulation etc., and it all checks out. The engine temp gauge rose steadily during the trip (~90 miles round trip) and I was unable to use my AC, as this caused an additional spike in engine coolant temperature. I used about 2-3quarts of ATF during the trip, most of which is on the underside and hatch of my BII, all over my trailer, and I suspect all over the windshields of several pissed off drivers!

Possible Solutions?
I'd rather not install yet another tranny fluid cooler, besides, I already have one. Several years ago I bought some sort of ATF additive that raised the flash point. This seemed to help a great deal, however, this stuff has either worn out or is gone from the system, and I can't find an additive that is advertised to do this.

I'm thinking that maybe by using synthetic ATF, I can raise the flash point of the fluid enough to prevent further blowouts. It looks like the flash point of synthetic ATF is 80F° or more higher than regular ATF. Has anyone had this kind of blowout experience? If so, what did you do to solve the problem? Can you MIX old regular ATF with new synthetic ATF? Which synthetic grade/type would I use?

As usual, any ideas, help or insight will be appreciated.

CraigK
Tq converter is the problem. My other A4LD did the same thing. Replace the converter and flush out the burnt fluid and you will be set.

85_redranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L 4 Cyl
Fordman really hoping you can help me on this one i've had my ranger for a little over a year now and absolutely love it it's an 85 2.8 with an a4ld. My problem is that it's not really engaging in any gear until you get the motor up to about 1100 rpms. any ideas?:icon_confused:

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Vehicle
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
Fordman really hoping you can help me on this one i've had my ranger for a little over a year now and absolutely love it it's an 85 2.8 with an a4ld. My problem is that it's not really engaging in any gear until you get the motor up to about 1100 rpms. any ideas?:icon_confused:

It almost sounds like low fluid, and or vac. modulator

85_redranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L 4 Cyl
where to buy

thanks vipercommand i was reading and that's what i dug up but i've been searching advanced auto and autozone online and i can't find the modulator anywhere so does anyone know where to buy one of these things? lol

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Vehicle
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
thanks vipercommand i was reading and that's what i dug up but i've been searching advanced auto and autozone online and i can't find the modulator anywhere so does anyone know where to buy one of these things? lol

Auto Zone has them. Part #MV214 And its only $12.99
It might be diffrent with you living in a different state as me.

hope this helps.

Last edited:

85_redranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L 4 Cyl
replaced the modulator and it didn't fix the problem... needless to say i'm getting just a tad bit ticked off :annoyed: anybody got any ideas?

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Vehicle
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
Do you have to rev up to get in reverse? when it engauges is it a hard hit or smooth and spongy. only on takeoff, every gear.

the more deatail the better, so everyone can help.

85_redranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L 4 Cyl
yes i have to rev up to get it in reverse and all gears and when it engages it is spongy but after it engages it is fine???

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Vehicle
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
Damn, im sorry to have to tell you...
your forward clutch pack is fried, when rebuilding the trans it will be the last pack of clutches & steelies.

Same damn thing went out on my 93 a4ld.
Sorry dude
but get a second opp.

85_redranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L 4 Cyl
ok thanks would lucas stop slip help that at all cause i put it in and it didnt do any different

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Vehicle
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
I put lucas in the a4ld as well, I noticed a very marginal improvment for the first day or two. After I tore it apart I then realized that lucas wouldn't put clutch material back on the disc's. Lucas' main fix is for the valve body's or gasket sealing surfaces, or for hard shifting. If you would like I can give you the phone number for my trans parts supplier and he could break it down to you over the phone on what you will really need. He works the parts counter and he also rebuilds a4ld's. He was the one that told me my foward clutch pack was gone and he was dead on the money.

I guess this is pretty common with a4ld's.

85_redranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L 4 Cyl
o ok my uncle said that he would help rebuild it with me if i could buy the parts so not to keep dragging this out or anything but i've never done work like this so where could i buy the parts? thanks so much for all your help:headbang:

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Vehicle
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
I got all my parts from G&G in san bernadino CA. (909)884-9575
Sence your not close i recomend e-bay, type these # in the search on e-bay.
Item number: 350265268671 super master kit
Item number: 380169106084 shift kit
Item number: 270468549935 torque converter

tools needed:

torque wrenches- inch, and foot lbs.
long pick kit
long reach snapring pliers
assortment of flat head screw drivers
sockets- deep and shallow
allen sockets
feeler gauges
pickup magnet
neddle nose pliers
rubber mallet
parts cleaner
lent less rags
clean work bench
solven safe cups- for all the bolts
digital camra- for reassembly reffencing

That is What i used to do mine
hope it helps also go to the tech library under auto trans there is the service guide for the A4LD.
Good Luck