•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

oil light

b2rich

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
whats an engine?
this has been happening for about the last 6 mos.
I will park the B2 to go shopping or to get gas or whatever. I come back and start it and the check oil light comes on. I turn the engine off and sometimes the light stays on when i restart it. maybe the 2nd or 3rd time, the light goes off.
I have no issues as far as the way it runs, just the annoying check oil light.
Is this something i should be concerned about or is it just the crappy light?
Thanks.

bigblockford79

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1979/93
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
As long as you know the oil level is where is should be then just ignore or remove the light. I assume you have checked or changed the oil recently, and know its just a faulty circuit. Otherwise if you want it right you will need to replace the oil level sending unit. On most ford engines it just screws or snaps into the side of the old pan. FYI the last one I priced out was for a 5.0 and it was $180 new from Dorman.

b2rich

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
whats an engine?
i think ill order 2. 1 as a back up:shok:
ya thats kind of my thought. i am due for an oil change pretty soon. going back to the castrol edge.

Shran

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
All that light does is tell you that you either have oil pressure or you do not. It's controlled by a pressure switch on the front driver's side of the engine block near the power steering pump and it has one wire going to it. You can get a replacement switch for under $15 or just unplug the wire if the light bothers you.

b2rich

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
whats an engine?
All that light does is tell you that you either have oil pressure or you do not. It's controlled by a pressure switch on the front driver's side of the engine block near the power steering pump and it has one wire going to it. You can get a replacement switch for under $15 or just unplug the wire if the light bothers you.
think ill just give it a vasectomy :shok:

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Has nothing to do with oil pressure. It is the sensor in the side of the oilpan is what he is talking about. Read his first post....he says it is the "Check Oil Light".

Shran

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Has nothing to do with oil pressure. It is the sensor in the side of the oilpan is what he is talking about. Read his first post....he says it is the "Check Oil Light".
I thought the oil pressure sending unit was for either the gauge or light, depending on which you have. I don't remember the 2.9 that I put in my '87 B2 having anything in the pan, but I could be wrong, if so I stand corrected.

b2rich

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
whats an engine?
there is a sensor on the drivers side of the oil pan. its called a "oil level switch assembly" and its below the "oil pressure swich assembly" according to chilton. so it looks like the oil pressure gauge and the check oil light run off separate lines.

Last edited:

b2rich

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
whats an engine?
anybody know where i can get braided line for the mechanical oil pressure gauge. real cheep!!!!

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Oil light is run by a level sensor in the side of the pan.

Oil gauge it run by a pressure sensor near the starter.

The level sensor will get twitchy if the oil is really dirty. Mine used to do exactly what yours is doing. I Seafoamed it and it hasn't done it since. Not saying that fixed it since it would come and go with months in between, but that may help to clean the sensor and it's contacts.

b2rich

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
whats an engine?
Oil light is run by a level sensor in the side of the pan.

Oil gauge it run by a pressure sensor near the starter.

The level sensor will get twitchy if the oil is really dirty. Mine used to do exactly what yours is doing. I Seafoamed it and it hasn't done it since. Not saying that fixed it since it would come and go with months in between, but that may help to clean the sensor and it's contacts.
ya im thinking i need to do the seafoam oil thing? i have kept up with my oil changes,i just hope when i do it i dont get the notorious valve ticking. i have 118000 miles and there is no ticking.

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
anybody know where i can get braided line for the mechanical oil pressure gauge. real cheep!!!!
There will be some money there in that braided line. I have bought the copper line cause I don't trust the plastic line that is sent with the gauge. What I did is then run the copper line and slid some rubber vacuum hose over top of it. I was able to cover all the of line under the hood. The hose acts as a noise suppressor and also adds protection to the copper line.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
ya im thinking i need to do the seafoam oil thing? i have kept up with my oil changes,i just hope when i do it i dont get the notorious valve ticking. i have 118000 miles and there is no ticking.
Even keeping up with oil changes crap can build up slowly over time. It shouldn't hurt anything to seafoam it. Just make sure to do it right before you change the oil. I'm almost to 200K with no ticking. I didn't use seafoam until this last oil change, but I've used ATF and Lucas Stabiloil for a while now.

The Lucas really helps.