•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Opinions for 1st time bronco ii buyer

stephen.t

Reaction score
I'm a mechanical engineering student without much experience working on cars, but am mechanically adept and a good problem solver.

Thinking of buying a 1990 Bronco ii off craigslist, but not exactly sure what i'd be getting myself into.

Here's the link to the ad, which explains the condition it's in and the work that has been put into it.

http://kitchener.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-Must-go-by-the-end-of-the-month-Make-me-an-offer-W0QQAdIdZ269776738

1990 Ford Bronco II Has to go by the end of the month. Need the room in my driveway. Best offer! No trades. No time to finish project.
-lifted suspension
-new brakes and brake lines
-new tires
-sand blasted and powder coated rims
-new gas line, gas tank and cover
-new muffler and exhaust
-full tune up kit included
-power windows and doors
-some body work needed
-needs battery and cylanoid (they mean solenoid I guess).
Just have no time off to pursue this project. Spent over $2000 on parts. Make an offer.

Apparently it just needs a new solenoid and battery... Apparently.

They say they have an offer for 1400, which they think is fair. Would this be a logical buy? Got a decent amount of time off this summer to tinker around with it. Also, any estimates of how much more would need to be put into the truck?

Thanks

ps. Here's what it looks like:

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
A new solenoid is ~C$15.00. Buy one and take a battery and check it out. IMO a rust free, well running b-II would be worth more than C$1400.00. Take a mechanic or knowledgeable friend with you if needed.

Richard

azbronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
sounds good if all checks out I would stick with a 1989 or newer

Welder0800

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Buy one and take a battery and check it out
Do this for sure!

I would also ask for the receipts from the items that have been replaced and maybe for a log of maintance: oil change, air and fuel filter etc.. the basic stuff. Just my thoughts

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
If you get super-lucky, this '90 bronco II might even have a d35 front axle. I only paid $500 for a stock B2 in good condition out west in Vancouver, but at $1400 if the frame is in good shape, I would probably do it.

Make sure you check the condition of the back end of the frame, as well as the hangers/shackles (What the leaf spring bolts to on the back end, near the back bumper) My first b2 had serious rust issues out back due to the fact it is exposed to the rear tires, and gets road water sprayed up at it all the time. I ended up scrapping it after ripping holes in the frame where the rear body mounts go.

If you dont end up buying this one, keep your eyes open for '89+ B2s, because they had redesigned heads that alleviated much of the head-cracking issues the 2.9l engine is notorious for.

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
sounds good if all checks out I would stick with a 1989 or newer
why? the redesigned heads? people-- i never had a problem w/ my 2.9 overheating from my 88. it had more than several miles on it... don't be scared of an 88 b2. just make sure the coolant system works. i get so aggravated when people say do NOT buy a 1st gen b2. i know you didn't say don't, you just say i would stick with...

if you find a good deal on a 1st gen, pick it up. the 84-88 were good b2's also. i know of 2 of the only other 2 people i know personally w/ b2's that still have the stock motor and heads on there with no overheating or cracking at all.

lethal-threat-b288

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
why? the redesigned heads? people-- i never had a problem w/ my 2.9 overheating from my 88. it had more than several miles on it... don't be scared of an 88 b2. just make sure the coolant system works. i get so aggravated when people say do NOT buy a 1st gen b2. i know you didn't say don't, you just say i would stick with...

if you find a good deal on a 1st gen, pick it up. the 84-88 were good b2's also. i know of 2 of the only other 2 people i know personally w/ b2's that still have the stock motor and heads on there with no overheating or cracking at all.
x2, ive ran my 88 2.9 at 210 degrees and never had an issue kow. its a fine engine and a classic rig!:icon_thumby:

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
The 88 I scrapped because of rust problems was a 1988 with over 330 000km on the original engine. With proper treatment, they can last a crazy long time.

That being said, the 89 DOES have better heads, so it lessens your risks of cracking a head. Not necessary per say, but if your in the market for a truck might as well look for the best they made, right?

Plus, the newer the B2 you get, the better manual tranny you get. The early ones had FM145s, then 146s, and finally the M50d for most 90 models. Late-production '90 B2s also came with a d35 front axle, a huge improvement over the d28 that is usually there (Albeit not a hard swap or anything. still.)

I also personally prefer the headlights on the 89+ ones.

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
The 88 I scrapped because of rust problems was a 1988 with over 330 000km on the original engine. With proper treatment, they can last a crazy long time.

That being said, the 89 DOES have better heads, so it lessens your risks of cracking a head. Not necessary per say, but if your in the market for a truck might as well look for the best they made, right?

Plus, the newer the B2 you get, the better manual tranny you get. The early ones had FM145s, then 146s, and finally the M50d for most 90 models. Late-production '90 B2s also came with a d35 front axle, a huge improvement over the d28 that is usually there (Albeit not a hard swap or anything. still.)

I also personally prefer the headlights on the 89+ ones.
the 89-90 is also an easier 4.0 swap.. but mine was easy enough.. i like the look of my bodystyle more. looks more like a bronco than explorer... but that's personal opinion there.. i just wanted to make it known that the 1st gen was not a bad truck... the 2.9 lasted just fine for me. even the a4ld.

moogvo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L Mustang engine
Ya know... the more I read, the more I feel like I got a good deal on my '86. The heads were all stopped up with block sealer and it looks terrible but has only surface rust on the body and needs the A/C fixed. I will be into this vehicle for under a grand and should have a really good truck. I AM replacing the heads with the updated ones.

The bottom line is... make sure the cooling system works right and you should be good!

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Ya know... the more I read, the more I feel like I got a good deal on my '86. The heads were all stopped up with block sealer and it looks terrible but has only surface rust on the body and needs the A/C fixed. I will be into this vehicle for under a grand and should have a really good truck. I AM replacing the heads with the updated ones.

The bottom line is... make sure the cooling system works right and you should be good!
Im not 100% on this, but you may require different valve covers for the newer heads.

And yeah, I got a screaming good deal on my '89 b2. Its got like 314 000 miles (miles, not km..its originally from the US) and the tranny is in rough shape (makes a loud clunk shifting into reverse, is clunky on other shifts too) but for $500, to have a rust-free frame and hangers, is unheard of here... My last one was also $500, but was rusty as hell on the back end, and had a blown clutch...

Definately feel the new one was the better deal, but neither were bad prices I felt... I wish I noticed the rust condition on the frame/hangers before I bought it though, 'cause that made me have to scrap it after very little use.

moogvo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L Mustang engine
Thanks for the tip on the valve covers... I will have to look in to that.

mhughes165

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
there is no difference in the valve covers whatsoever.... doesnt matter what year 2.9 you get, sure the new ones have better heads but my old one lasted to 300+kmi original engine in a 87 and i wheeled it hard alot for a long time.....